Author Topic: A 19th Century Machine Shop Diorama  (Read 219280 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: A 19th Century Machine Shop Diorama
« Reply #945 on: December 03, 2016, 11:47:54 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your kind words. And thank you for all of your interest and support during the construction of this machine shop.

Hi Marv,
Very kind of you to set this video up for viewing. I will study it closely.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #946 on: December 03, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the overall pictures John. As Chris noted, I think a lot of folks who hadn't followed the thread would think it a real shop. That is a testament to all the details you have included in this amazing model!!

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #947 on: December 04, 2016, 12:29:25 AM »
The only thing missing is the"smell "   Just beautiful John. The stove looks a lot like one that would have been used in an old caboose. If you didn't want to fabricate, perhaps the model loco suppliers would have something.

Cletus

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #948 on: December 04, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »
Thanks Bill

Hello Cletus,
You have nailed it! Yes, it is an old small version of a caboose stove! I could not have identified it without you. Thank you very much.

It is not available as a model in 1/12 scale, but the many pictures of it on the Internet will make it easier to draft up for modelling. You have moved this little project forward in a big way.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #949 on: December 04, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
Looking at that last set of pictures I'm amazed how much they remind me of the machine shop at the old Bumble Bee Shipyard in Astoria, Oregon. When I was in it in the 70's, it still had a lot of the belt driven machines (the mainshaft was driven by an electric motor). The floor was Douglas Fir (plentiful in that area) and varnished or oiled. The walls were painted about the same and it was as clean as John's.

Here's a picture of the outside of the building it was housed in:
https://photos.smugmug.com/History/Construction/i-KvGhv84/0/L/1946,shipyard,CRPA,Astoria,Later%20Bumble%20Bee,-L.jpg
I'd like to find a picture of the inside. It was torn down some years back after the shipyard closed.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #950 on: December 11, 2016, 01:18:22 PM »
Hi Jim,
Thank you for recalling memories of that shop.

Here is a mock-up of the total project.  If you look closely, there is an extension added to the left side of the foreman's office. That's the reason there was a door on that wall of the office...  ;) It will not be added. I have other irons in the fire now and want to get on with the next project.

The fourth and final book featuring the diorama's development is now in the works.

I am going to pass on the making of the little stove. A casting would be the only way to get 'that look' in my opinion and I have other projects awaiting.

A videotape is being made of the diorama. I will post a link when it becomes available.

Thank you to all who have followed the development of this diorama. Thank you to all who made constructive suggestions that enhanced the project's overall presentation.

It's been a blast!  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:22:22 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #951 on: December 15, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
Here are three finishing photos taken with my camera. A photographer I know has agreed to take pictures of the diorama in RAW format and videotape the project as well. A link to the video will be posted in this thread - hopefully in the new year.

Regards,
John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Next Project
« Reply #952 on: December 15, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
I would really like to have a go at making Sir William Armstrong's twin cylinder horizontal engine in spite of cautions given online about undersized castings and other minor flaws. It would be nice set in a pump house diorama setting.

But that is down the road. In the meantime, I am going to make a display engine - William Benson's vertical steam engine mounted on a wooden plinth. It has been made several times online. There are also a host of YouTube videos of the engine running.

So nothing too dramatic for the moment.

For me, the learning curve continues. I have the assistance of a very good machinist who smooths out the rough patches for me and makes it easy to complete a project by adding in the small, 'fun stuff'.

Cheers...John

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #953 on: December 15, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
Absolutely stunning John! Well done.  :ThumbsUp:

I'm looking forward to the pictures and video. Also the build of your next project.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #954 on: December 15, 2016, 05:28:32 PM »
As Jim, and many others have said, simply beautiful!  You have created a masterpiece for sure.
Thanks for sharing it with us all all along the way, John. It was a fun journey!
Make sure and keep a build log of your Benson Vertical. I'd love to follow along with that one too.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #955 on: December 15, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »
Yeah, I have missed your updates on this one already John. But I am sure the next project will be just as enthralling!!

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #956 on: December 16, 2016, 02:08:24 AM »
Beautiful, John. Just beautiful. I've linked this thread to some friends who've been amazed at the work you've done. Can't wait for the video!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #957 on: December 16, 2016, 03:13:58 AM »
Stunning piece of work John!
I'm sure that you are very proud and rightly so.

Dave

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #958 on: December 23, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »
Lovely  :praise2:  :praise2: I am looking forward to the pictures and video  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #959 on: January 24, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Thanks gentlemen all.
Roger, I have news on the video front. This afternoon my videographer friend came to shoot the last pictures in RAW format for the video.
Here's his still camera mounted on a boom for overhead shooting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal