Author Topic: A 19th Century Machine Shop Diorama  (Read 217869 times)

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
Re: A 19th Century Machine Shop Diorama
« Reply #975 on: March 01, 2017, 06:03:02 AM »
John a whole evening spent whizzing through this thread I now have to go back and take some long looks at many of the amazing details that you incorporated. Your Diorama reminded me of many hours spent looking at the models in the Science Museum in South Kensington as a young boy.

A grand inspiration your model is.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #976 on: March 05, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »
Hi Mike,
Welcome from sunny but cold Ontario.
Thank you very much for your kind words.

We have a very nice Museum of Steam and Technology in Hamilton with a huge beam engine that was used to supply water to the city of Hamilton. You can easily find it with a Google search.

I mention it , because they also have a display area for model steam engines. I am seriously thinking about approaching them regarding this diorama.

Cheers...John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #977 on: March 05, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »
That would be fantastic John...your diorama would fit right in there and definitely fits the criteria or museum quality!!

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2017, 12:32:57 AM »
Thanks Bill.

I am pleased to announce that the video of the diorama has just been released.

Here it is:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hervTRddVJk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hervTRddVJk</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #979 on: June 30, 2017, 01:44:26 AM »
That's simply wonderful!  Nice to see the progress sequence all in one place too.

:ThumbsUp:

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #980 on: June 30, 2017, 03:17:49 AM »
Well done, even the vidio needs an award, that needs to be on public viewing, the museum would be the place for it.
Ian S C

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #981 on: June 30, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »
John, The time clock seems to have stopped!  I hope that was after the workers went home.

But seriously, wonderful.  Definitely worth its place in any museum, and the video, a great tribute to your work.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #982 on: June 30, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
John

Dont take this the wrong way because I think what you have done is fantastic, and I could not do better my self.

But having watched the video again it looks like some parts are revolving the opposite way, I would have expected the engine, the drill, the horizontal miller and the shaper to be going the other way.
Maybe reversing the engine and crossing a couple of belts might do the trick, what do you think ?

This is meant to be "constructive" criticism  :ThumbsUp:

Phil

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #983 on: June 30, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »
Very Nice John

I wonder if it is just the effect of the speed some machines are running at, I often find some of my engines and even the lathe and mill look to be running backwards in videos.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #984 on: June 30, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »
Fantastic video John.  Totally blown away.

Vince

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #985 on: June 30, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
I am honoured to have been able to see this in person and watch and listen. It is a wonderful creation and it brings back many pleasant memories of seeing similar models at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto as a child. I don't believe many of them were this good.

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #986 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »
Very much enjoyed watching the superb video, a fitting tribute to all your skilful hard work in creating this outstanding workshop diorama.
  A lot of excellent model engineering work seems to end up poorly documented or even anonymous, one longs to know more about how it was created. It is very good that your long term project is supported by such a full build log.   And now the video, that gives a summary that will be watched by many viewers and I'm sure will give others inspiration!     Dave

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #987 on: June 30, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Jason, you are very kind suggesting the reverse rotation may just be an illusion, but Phil is right. I don't think we would have much success drilling material with the drill travelling counterclockwise!

Phil, I simply didn't notice this until you mentioned it. You are right.  A simple belt twist and the rotation would be changed.

Maybe that can be our little secret here on the site. It may be missed out there.

As an old gentleman once told me when I was fussing about the construction of a roof detail on my home, " A man on a galloping horse will never notice."

Dave, your thoughts touched me deeply. Thank you.

Cheers All.

John

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #988 on: June 30, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
It was worth the wait to see the video. It does full justice to the model and provides a good encapsulation of the whole project. I followed the build of the model from the first post and there's not much more to say. This is a first-class project and a first-class documentation of the process. And in a relatively short time, too.

Thank You,

ShopShoe

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #989 on: June 30, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
John

Mum's the word.

The thing that I noticed first was the shaper, the direction of rotation means that it is pushing forwards faster than backwards, looking at the crank through the access door it needs to be going clockwise to mimick a full size shaper, that's what started me looking at the other machines as well.
The normal rotation for a horizontal engine, (not in every case) would be top of flywheel going away from the cylinder, this is so the crosshead is pushing downwards into the bed of the engine with the power strokes.
If the engine went the opposite way maybe just crossing the belt on the grinder might sort it all out, I couldn't really tell which way the lathe was running in the video.

It' still a great achievment that you should be proud of, and I am watching the current beam engine build coming along nicely as well.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal