Author Topic: A 19th Century Machine Shop Diorama  (Read 217999 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: A Metal Sub-Base for Victoria
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »
Thanks.
Things are coming to a close with the platform. You can see here that the planks have been placed. One patch at the head of the stairs required some attention. If you look very closely, you will see a tiny gap between the green plate and the planks on the left. You will recall that the platform is independent of the sub-base - it's not touching.
You can also see the foreman's office in the background. The panes in three windows will be removable. Hands can reach into the diorama from the back to make any necessary adjustments to the machines on the floor.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
The platform is planked and basically complete. These pictures show it going into place like a cowl over the metal sub-base.
This diorama will expand over the next year or so as stairs, floor machines, line shafts etc. are added.

This thread has described the construction of an alternative base for the Stuart horizontal stationary steam engine 'Victoria'.

Cheers...John

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
Good looking build  :ThumbsUp:   :ThumbsUp: I would like to see the finished diorama.
Best regards

Roger

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 09:41:14 PM »
Hi Roger,
Thank you for your kind comments. The diorama grows daily on a forum website in Germany. I hesitate to post the site here as I am not sure of your house rules. If you would like to see the development of this engine in its machine shop setting, send me an email and I can give you the link to the site. I speak only English, so there is no problem following along. The site is a very friendly one. It is designed mainly for card modellers (fellows who model in paper), but I've built and written so many architectural construction reports that they tolerate my diversion to metal in a special section.

BTW, my email is incorrect on this site. All letters are lower case (no capital J)

Cheers...John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »
John, I don't see that posting the link to the site here would break any rules, assuming that that site wouldn't mind you posting the link elsewhere. I am sure many of us would enjoy seeing more of this project.

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
Hi Bill,
Here's the card modelling site in Germany where the construction report for the 19th Century diorama is being written:

http://kartonist.de.dedi1872.your-server.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=13447

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
Thanks John. There is more information there on the diorama as well as your beautiful base.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 07:11:59 PM »
Thank you for posting the link  :ThumbsUp: Excellent looking Projekt  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
Thanks Roger.

Now the reason for making an integrated metal base for this engine really becomes apparent. One of the thorny problems with a pedestal bearing is getting it level with its mate on the soleplate of the engine. Here, I thought I had it nailed with a common metal base under both the pedestal and the soleplate. But alas, when all was set up, the pedestal was still too high.

Fortunately, everything on the base could be disassembled and reworked. These pictures show the aluminum plinth for the pedestal being machined down. The other photos show attempts to make sure the pedestal bearing and the soleplate bearing were in line.

The common base for soleplate and pedestal  provided the stability necessary to make these changes.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
A Functioning Base
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
This is the first photo that shows what looks like the beginning development of a double stroke, slide valve horizontal mill engine sitting on its plinth. We'll call the base done when the drain cocks from the cylinder are mounted in the alcove seen in the foreground.

Oh, I forgot - there are the metal stairs and railings as well.

Cheers...John
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:03:20 PM by J.L. »

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »
Hello John,

Very nice project you have going on here, love the bricks! Hope one day I will build something like this, can stare to them for hours on shows. Thanks for sharing the step - by - step, will be useful in future.

Regards Jeroen

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »
Thanks Jeroen,
It is now time to install the cylinder with its drain cocks. Because this metal base has a cavity and an access slot, the task is simple.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
John that's looking awesome you do some nice work. Thanks for posting your progress for us.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 12:42:31 AM »
Nice to see you back on this build John. As  Don said already....awesome!!!

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Hi John, a nice detail. That looks good and is also functional.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal