Author Topic: Blueing steel parts  (Read 2525 times)

Offline AOG

Blueing steel parts
« on: September 28, 2014, 06:11:20 AM »
I am currently working on an Elmer's Fancy.  The column and base are turned from some steel bar I had lying around. I am now thinking about finishing the parts. I don't want to paint them and I don't really like that super polished look. I am thinking about blueing the parts. I don't have the equipment to do a proper hot blue so I am looking at some of the cold blueing products on the market.  Has anyone done any cold blueing on their projects? How did it turn out?  What product did you use?  Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Tony

Offline Thor

Re: Blueing steel parts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:17:59 AM »
Hi Tony,
 the so-called cold bluing products I have tried work well on steel. The one I am familiar with is a 3-step process; cleaning. bluing and a preserving oil. After the process the colour of the steel is black.
 The old method was to heat the steel to around 280 - 300 deg. C and apply linseed oil.

Thor

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:27:59 AM »
Hi Tony, this cold bluening or blackening is an easy and stable process. I have  used it several times i.e. for some tooling clamps or also for the flywheel of my Webster. My source for the fluid is here in Germany and will be not a good option for you. Freight cost will be higher than the stuff itself but I am sure some guys in your country will know where to go. May be a gun shop could offer it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 02:51:59 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
google birchwood bluing, its also sold in kits on ebay

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
Tony like Achim, I have used gun bluing and it wooks fine. Just insure your metal is clean and the surface is as smooth as you like it to be. The finish looks black but it's a lasting finish after completing apply oil to it.
 You can get it from a gun shop or online from Brownell's web site.

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »
I have also used Birchwood Casey Perma Blue on small parts with excellent results. It is sold in small bottles, not too expensive, and does a good job.
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal