Author Topic: Mystery Casting set  (Read 3372 times)

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
Mystery Casting set
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
I'm hoping the gang here might be able to identify this casting set.  I got it from a friend who had it from his dad's collection (his dad has passed some time ago).  There are no instructions, but he's still keeping an eye out for them.   I have no clue how old the set may be.   I don't collect casting sets (yet!) so I haven't been scouring the websites/catalogs just yet.

Here are some pictures and I tried to include a couple rulers in some of the shots.  The flywheel is 4.5 inch diameter.  I don't believe my friend's dad did any machining on these, though the major parts clearly have machined flat areas.  So maybe it was a beginner kit of some sort.  Many parts have the number "4" cast in them as is pretty clear in the photos.

Todd

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Mystery Casting set
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
Stuart No 4  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:14:35 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »
Todd - it has all the hallmarks of a 'Stuart Turner' engine - still in business so a quick Google will soon find the details

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »
Jo is right. See photo in the first post on my build log of this engine.

Simon

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
Oh excellent!  I was hoping it would be that easy.   Guess I should have done a little prep-googling.

Todd

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Here's the link for reference:  http://www.stuartmodels.com/inprod_det.cfm/section/casting/mod_id/65

It says 5 inch flywheel, but maybe they rounded up or changed slightly over the years.  But yes, that looks exactly like it.

I'll write them and see what it takes to get the drawings.  I'm not in a hurry, though, and if they've been in business since 1898, I think I'll be ok :)

Todd

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
It says 5 inch flywheel, but maybe they rounded up or changed slightly over the years. 

:ShakeHead: they have been getting lazy in their old age. Back in 1990 they came with a 4 1/2" flywheel, other engines had 5" wheels why bother casting two flywheels so close in size to each other when it will just about fit the larger one :shrug:

It looks even nicer with the reversing gear fitted  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
I also see from their website that they offer spare parts, including the drawings.  So I think I'm all set...but this thing is a long way out for a beginner like me.  It's inspiring, especially going through Simon's log.  Wow.

Even though I skimmed, I did catch one VERY important detail from Simon's log:  don't assume the parts are unchanged over the years.  I'll keep that in mind and hopefully save a little grief.  The flywheel is one thing that probably wouldn't matter, but the cylinder is another :).

Yet another reason to have build logs!

Todd

Offline rklopp

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:45:24 PM »
So I think I'm all set...but this thing is a long way out for a beginner like me. 

Maybe not. A Stuart No. 4 was my first engine. I built it starting in 8th grade. It took a couple of years! I would get stuck and frustrated, distracted, etc. I built it using a 9-in South Bend A with a milling attachment and a drill press. Two parts that came out badly were the piston rod glad thread and the hole in the steam chest for the valve rod tail. Both came out off-axis, but I still got it assembled and it runs. It was a fantastic learning experience.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »
Beware that there were some dimension changes between old and newer drawings (and presumably castings too). PM me if you are looking for older drawings.

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal