Author Topic: Thought I'd join in - My space...  (Read 8077 times)

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
Re: Thought I'd join in - My space...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
Reversing the mill...  Like Ramon said, very useful for power tapping.

And extremely helpful if you've spent a couple of hours carefully making up a specialized cutting bit from silver steel, only to find that in the process you ended up making the cutting edges on the "wrong" side...  I have a T-shirt for that one  :-[

There are also left-hand twist drills and milling cutters available.  These can be very useful to drill out broken-off screws/bolts.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »
OK, so a few reasons which probably amount to a justification to hunt though the bag of electronics spares for a switch...

Thanks peeps.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
Meanwhile, the general reorganisation is nearing completion. This photo was taken from roughly the same place as the one earlier in the thread, so as you can see the two general benches (electronics and assembly) are just about sorted, and the aeromodelling building board is under that protective ply cover (as it's surfaced in pinboard which is easily bruised).

For those in the UK - if you look at the edge of the shelving on the left you may notice two small striplights with directable reflectors. I found these in Lidl yesterday for (IIRC) £10 each or £16/pair. They're mains powered, but have a lead which "daisy chains" multiple units in a line so you only need one mains plug. They seem very effective.

AS
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:26:09 PM by Allen Smithee »

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
Along the back wall of the garage I have the main metalworking bench, which is now clear and will soon be ready for use. at least at this end:

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
But I still have a fair way to go with the left hand end of that bench, plus the space where the Myford will be going shortly.

AS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal