Author Topic: Thought I'd join in - My space...  (Read 8081 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Thought I'd join in - My space...
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
Well as everyone else is publishing their plans I thought I'd join in by posting the end objective for operation Garage Storm (which differs from Operation Desert STorm in that it does actually HAVE a defined end objective).

Just to recap - the starting configuration (at least the tidy side, anyway) looked like this:

But due to the loss of my last remaining parent I have been forced to clear the space to receive things from the clearing of her house. I've made this an opportunity to redesign the space from scratch. My primary hobby is (and will probably remain) aeromodelling, so the workshop has to support aircraft manufacture/support, electrical/electronic stuff (scopes, power supplies, sig-gens etc plus battery charging and wiring/soldering) and a machine shop (that is less extensive than that of most of the rest of you, I'm sure). The current plan is that it will look like this:

The "reserved family space" is for a trailer, top-box, roof bars, car washing equipment & supplies and a few other things, but the rest is mine - the compressor is fitted where it is so that it's available for Supreme Commander to check her tyre pressures (that's "tire pressures" in the colonies). The benches are all existing stuff, and the racks are existing dexion-type racks (two full-height 3'x1' ones and four half-height 2'6"x1' ones that will be underneath the building board). There are two 15-way mains power strips - one along the back of the main metalwork bench and the other along the back of the electronics/assembly benches, plus three double wall sockets over in the corner near the Myford. The existing for 8' striplights will be moved to better locations, but I also have nearly a dozen assorted old anglepoise, gooseneck and clip-fitted spotlights I've accumulated over the years which will be put in strategic locations as required.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Thought I'd join in - My space...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »
Looks like a plan to me Allen. The only thing I see is that the Braze area is a bit boxed in there in the corner, but you would know what will work for you best. Now the fun begins...getting from picture 1 to picture 2 :)

Bill

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Looks like a plan to me Allen. The only thing I see is that the Braze area is a bit boxed in there in the corner, but you would know what will work for you best. Now the fun begins...getting from picture 1 to picture 2 :)

It's not quite as boxed as it appears on the plan - I chose that location so that I can easily have three paving slabs (underneath and two sides) plus three or four breeze blocks to create a safe "hearth", and because there's already an extractor fan above that corner (helps keep the moisture down when using propane). The partition to the left of the myford may yet morph into a full-height dexion rack (subject to negotiations with Senior Management) to store lathe tools and bits.

Now the fun begins...getting from picture 1 to picture 2 :)

That's already in progress - the garage has been largely cleared into crates over the last two weekends (to date a total of nine complete car-loads have gone to the tip) and I'm in the process of putting up the shelves so that the benches and racks can be cleared ontoi them, ready to accept the incoming stuff from the other house. I estimate the task as about 25% complete (at least that's what I told the project manager - we engineers always keep a little leighway in our status reports).

AS

Arbalest

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:42 PM »
Looks like a plan Alan. I daren't have so much bench space myself though as I'd soon put stuff on top of it ...  :naughty:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Looks a good plan  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Have you decided what the first engine from the new shop will be?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
Well the space is nearly cleared and the first of the new toys is in (see below, and thanks Simon!). Reading up on these things I discovered that they use the same motor control board in the mill and the lathe, which means that there is a connector on the board which (when wired to a simple switch) offers a forward/reverse function.I was wondering whether there were any occasions when running a mill in reverse might be useful?

AS

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
I was wondering whether there were any occasions when running a mill in reverse might be useful?

AS

For putting the metal back on?  :mischief:
Best regards

Roger

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:17 PM »
Would love to run my SX2 in reverse, have you any info or a photo how to implement such a modification?

With a anticlockwise cutter it would make milling the outside of a round safe when it was in a chuck screw mounted to a rotary table.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:13:44 PM »
On the speed control board (the one behind the speed control knob) there's a 3-pin JST-XH header. The centre pin is connected to ground, and the other two have resistor pull-ups to 5v. If you short the centre pin to pin 3 (the one nearest the outside) the mill runs in reverse. If you then short the centre pin to pin 1 it will go back to running normally. As I understand it the pins are only "read" when the motor is stationary (can someone with an SC2 lathe confirm this?).

So to make a forward/reverse switch just get a standard toggle or rocker switch, connect the common to pin 2 and the poles to pins 1 and 3. The stitch doesn't need to be anything clever - it's working with 5vDC and will only carry a handful of milliamps. You could solder wires to the board, or even the pins, but a 3-way JST-XH plug with pigtails is easily bought by buying a balance lead adaptor for a 2-cell Lipo battery (as used by the RC model fraternity) like these, these or these (depending on your preferred type of supplier and location). Just cut off the connector you don't need, solder a switch to the three wires and Bob's your uncle*.

AS

*other parents' sibling genders are available

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »
I was wondering whether there were any occasions when running a mill in reverse might be useful?

If the mill has a quill then definitely useful for tapping under power  ;)

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
got it many thanks. will take a gander tommorow

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »

When you've put a slitting saw the wrong way round in it's arbour  :-[

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »
When making the Versatile Dividing Head body the other week I had to use a boring head to cut the outside curve but the boring bar in the head faced the wrong way to do this so I had to run the mill in reverse.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
Carefull running boring heads backwards as on some the body screws onto the shank, same with a slitting saw running backwards will tend to want to loosen the screw rather than tighten.

The real reason for reverse is so you can redo a hole you have drilled in the wrong place :LittleDevil:

Offline muddled engineer

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
Peter,

Two things spring to mind about your workshop layout, the first one is the famiy space and the second one is the
 brazing aera, both are poentential rust problems, :o when you bring your trailer back from a wet and rainy day out all dripping
with water, and driping on the floor, the moisture conent will rise and attack all the nice shiny metal parts, there will be rust
 every were. If you have space, the best place for the trailer is outside under a car port if you have one, latched on a post with a lockable ball hitch.

The other thing is your brazing aera, is a bit to close to the Myford, again heat and flux fumes can cause very bad rusting, :cussing: :'( again a small  covered aera just out outside by the door would be ideal, again if you have room.

Good luck with it, it is looking good :ThumbsUp:. :DrinkPint:

:old: Eric

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal