Author Topic: Myford "4-inch Precision" lathe  (Read 16715 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Myford "4-inch Precision" lathe
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »
Lots of people say I must see it preserved, but no one (yet) wants to take on the preservation job!

I've advertised it on HWS to see if anyone wants to take it on, otherwise it's gettiong a visit from Mr Angle Grinder...

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
With it being one of twenty ever made, I would have to at least clean it up and put it back together, even it never turned another piece of stock. Machine tool art  :stir:

E

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
I just don't have the space for it - everytyhing in my workshop must earn the roof over its head. Heck, if I start giving homes to retired lathes then some of the household staff will want indoor sleeping quarters as well. Where would it end? Communisim - that's what it is, I tell you!

:Mad: :Mad:

AS

Arbalest

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »

I've advertised it on HWS to see if anyone wants to take it on, otherwise it's gettiong a visit from Mr Angle Grinder...

AS

Have you got a link, I can't see it?

How much would it cost to have the bed reground and are any others spares required easily available and/or expensive?

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

AS

It's still "awaiting approval"

How much would it cost to have the bed reground and are any others spares required easily available and/or expensive?

Don't know about bed grinding (others will) but I'd doubt if any significant spares are still available- this was a rare beast even when it was new, and that was about 70 years ago!

AS

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
This side of the pond....between $500 and $1500....it's a pretty simple bed, so I would say closer to the 500 mark.

but it will depend on who you ask....it can go MUCH higher....you have to shop around.

The bed is the easy part.    It's the spindle and the tailstock that will be hard to deal with.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »
I've sussed it - I could convert the MF-36 into a precision mini-hog roaster! Spread a bed of charcoals on the chip tray, mount a suckling pig between centres and engage the back-gear...

:P :P :P

AS

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
Well now Allen, you may have more redneck in you that I thought :Jester:. I like that idea, let's expand. Considering the size I think it would be great for Cornish Hens.(swing over bed). As long as the spindle turns the birds won't even care about their amount of runout or geometry. I've found square stock makes the best spit, so, we'll have to see who(Jo)  has a square stock collet to fit the nose and just a good 60 degree center drill in the other end would support a live center in the tail stock. If it's not originally back geared, we may have to calculate some new drive pulleys. The chip tray would work great for the coal bed, which, since we're cooking with wood we may as well have a coal fired boiler to supply the driving engine, which of course has to be a steam engine, think cackling Creators :lolb: I do think the first mod should be a suds tank and pump to baste as needed. The nozzle could be mounted to the carriage, so each bird could get the just right amount ;). You think I'm joking, but, you sure have me thinking about some promo ideas.

E

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:42 AM »

The advert has been "approved" and is now on the first page of HWS (advert 20767 here).

So far I have been inundated with a total of zero enquiries, so you might have to join the queue...

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 10:37:58 AM »
Well now Allen, you may have more redneck in you that I thought :Jester:.

How dare you, Sir! If I wasn't trying to be polite I'd have my butler administer a sound horsewhipping...

;D

Of course we would have to add a toggle linkage to the tumble-reverse so that the saddle could administer the precision constant baste, and then the rear tool-post could carry the knife-blade for crackling-scoring (does anyone know if pork skin is free-cutting? what sort of feeds and speeds are recommended?). The QC tool post would then allow a rapid change to part-off the head at the end of the cooking process...

AS

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Myford "4-inch Precision" lathe (sold)
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
I'm happy to say that this lathe is now sold - to a chap who already has one of the shorter-bed versions of the same model and has a lot of in experience rebuilding/modifying lathes so he know exactly what he was looking at (and what state it was in). That gives me fewer moral qualms about selling on the "strained lathe-soup" parts. He primarily wanted it for the bed and headstock, which he believes he can use to replace his existing one to give him a much-wanted increase in between-centres capacity on his existing MF lathe.

So it's not being scrapped or broken for parts after all.

As a result Operation Garage Storm is close the end of phase 1 (clearance) and will shortly be moving to phase 2 (installation of new machines).

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »
 :whoohoo: Great news.

You must need a new lathe   :naughty:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
Maybe - any idea where I might find one?

:smokin2:

AS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal