Author Topic: My old friend B&D has died  (Read 2638 times)

Offline kvom

My old friend B&D has died
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
The Black and Decker 1/2" electric drill that I use almost exclusively to raise and lower the knee of my Bridgeport suffered from old age.  5 years of ups and downs resulted in no more downs.  Guess arthritis in the gear train finally did him in.   :'(

My new buddy Hitachi moved in today to take over the job.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: My old friend B&D has died
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
Condolences. Sorry for your loss. It's quite traumatic when a trusted tool goes to the skip in the sky.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
My condolences as well. I do hope his far eastern cousin can properly fill his shoes.

E

Think there is someone who could rebuild the old pal?

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
It still runs forward, so can be used for drilling holes.

Brother Hitachi has a lot of giddy-up.  A lot more torque.

Offline geoff_p

• Aranyaprathet, Thailand
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
For the last few years I've been running Talon-brand drills, one an 18V battery job, the other 110V mains.  Having busted both of them through stupidity, I was "forced" to buy a Black and Decker.

And guess what?

It's label proudly proclaims "Made in China".

Whatever!  It really is rubbish, plastic, a mile-and-a-half of end-float and barely fit for purpose.  Now I remember why I have never willingly bought B&D.

Geoff
"Statistically speaking, people who have more birthdays live longer"

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
I'm surprised that you could lift the knee of a Bridgeport with a 1/2" drill. Although the knee on my small vertical mill moves quite easily I don't thing my drill would lift it.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:02:51 AM »
My Jet knee mill has been converted to CNC- I decided to make the Z axis the knee instead of the quill. I  put a 906 oz-in stepper motor right on the end where the crank was and it moves the table up and down at 30 in per minute. I later moved the motor inside the knee casting and directloy belted to the top of teh screw. It works great.

I have just finished a Z axis power feed for my G0704 mill. Again I used a 906 oz-in motor, with an arduino controller. I intend to post a build write up on it when I finish a few details.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »
Gee, I hate to be the contrarian, but of late B&D has been making excellent products. Sure, they are made over there, but my limited experience with an electric screwdriver has been good, and I will seek them out when I have to buy again.
I understand that they have been purchased by Stanley, and now include Bostitch, Facom, Lista, Mac, Proto, Dewalt, Porter Cable, and who knows who else. I guess this is possible in the global market.
Mosey   :thinking:   

Offline kvom

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »
I'm surprised that you could lift the knee of a Bridgeport with a 1/2" drill. Although the knee on my small vertical mill moves quite easily I don't thing my drill would lift it.
gbritnell

I don't attach the drill directly to the shaft on the knee.  Rather I made a big socket that engages the same teeth as the handle.  Similar to this:

It was my first project with a rotary table.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal