Author Topic: F-100D - Another Plastic Distraction  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
F-100D - Another Plastic Distraction
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »
Hi Guys - As you've no doubt become aware I'm not a  dedicated, 'dyed in the wool', single minded model engineer but will, on occasion, go off on a tangent. I try to limit the time spent 'away' but sometimes it takes longer than anticipated. 

Along with sailing - and no, I have still not built that yacht I set out to do some time back  ::) - you may recall that I enjoy the pleasure of 'plastic' modelling. Whilst it doesn't have that same sense of achievement as building something that 'works' it does - for me - bring a great deal of relaxation (if you dismiss the conflict it creates  :D) and a high degree of satisfaction as a build progresses.

Given the predominantly positive response to my last 'distraction' in this area I thought some of you might like to see the latest result of a few weeks 'away'

It's a 1/32 scale F-100D Super Sabre in French markings. Built from a Trumpeter kit it features resin aftermarket details in the cockpit, U/C bays and Exhaust with scratch built details in the speed brake bay. It's painted with Alclad 2 metallic paints and all the major markings are masked and sprayed with decals used for the small stenciling and information patches.

I choose to model it in French markings for a number of reasons - mainly because of that natural metal finish - most US 'D's featured a uniform silver lacquer finish. I had a good colour reference in a book - later found on the net - and for some reason French 100's exhibited high degrees of heat staining on the after end - something I wanted to try to replicate.

Here's a few pics - it's taken three good sessions to complete starting around the beginning of the year - hope you like it.

Now just in case there's any doubt about the weathering  ;) this should keep things in perspective  :D

Yes, I know, it's not an exact copy  :shrug: - can't get that lovely blue hue for a start but it was only a guide after all  :)

Well that's it - one big itch, well and truly scratched so now, after a good clean up and put away, it's time to start making some swarf  ;D.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I have making it  ;)

Regards - Ramon

Oh yes - sincere apologies to those who may feel it's downright heresy to put a plastic model on our model engine forum but it is in 'Oddball' after all  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:45:44 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: F-100D - Another Plastic Distraction
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »
That's amazing Ramon,

You are truly a master of your craft.

Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
Nice job on that one Ramon. The panel edges are a bit heavily shaded for my own tastes but I assume you are working for a finish that looks right in front of the judges and the shows lighting setup rather than painting for what looks best in a photo much the same with figure painting where the shadows and highlights can look excessive in certain conditions.

At least you have got that out your system now and can concentrate on the Italia Beautys :)

J

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
Wow....looks incredible to me Ramon!!  Masterful detailing work and I admire your artistry in achieving that level of detail.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
That's amazing Ramon!  The paint job is incredible.  That's always tripped me up on plastic models, but you've got it down!
Thanks for sharing!
Kim

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
Hi Ramon,
I like you still build and and enjoy the plastic medium, cars, bikes, planes and the occasional ship, everything but armor.
Outstanding work on on your Hun. The new 1/32 releases really allow for super detailing.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »
Outstanding Ramon, I just love how the details show up. Your a true artist my friend. I ilke............... :praise2:

Don

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:21 AM »
I LOVE it! Truly fantastic work Ramon!

John

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:13 AM »
Hi Ramon, the details are fantastic. Very well done. My patience would never get this needed level.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09:31 AM »
Beautiful model Ramon.

The basis may be a kit but IMHO it takes a great deal of patience and skill to achieve such a fine end result and if that's not a type of model engineering, I'll eat my hat.

Best Regards
Bob

Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »
Nice Ramon!
Have sent one of the pics to a friend who's building an airforce for inspiration!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
WOW!  :o

That is incredible Ramon!  :praise2:

Well done, just doesn't seem enough to say.......  

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline mikemill

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
Ramon
It seems there are many of us ME’s who are guilty of ‘distractions’ I think it is because engineering is such a large subject you become naturally curios of all the different disciplines, which leads to ‘that would be a good subject to model’ apart from the mental list of models you already have!

I don’t seem to be able to sustain concentration on a long build without having to have a ‘distraction’ a new set of problems to solve seems to be refreshing and you can return the original build with new enthusiasm.

Let’s hope medical advances can keep us all going so we can complete the ‘list’ maybe as hands on people we will all have 3D printers and then be able to make our own replacement body parts!!!

Keep up the good work

Mike

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
Thanks for all your kind comments guys - I'm glad you enjoyed it and share the interest too  :)

Mike - you have summed it up well - I do find I tend to wander at times though as I get older I try to limit it and try to come back and finish something off. I know, I know - I can hear friend Chris (Modelsteam) now "What about the McOnie then  ::)" Ah all in due course he says ;) Though well aware there's a lot less (time) left than what's been my 'list' is still too long but I do attempt - mostly unsuccessfully - to try to be realistic  ::)

George - it's nice to hear you share a similar interest - if your results are anything like those superb drawings you produce then I can well imagine what they look like  :ThumbsUp: - I tend to keep to aircraft these days but have done armour in the past - 'one or two' still in the 'stash' but it'll be a fair while before the mood takes in that direction I fear. As you say though some of these latest 1/32 releases really are tempting.

Jason - It doesn't actually look as dark on the panel lines as the images convey. Every panel, including the smallest, was masked and painted separately with several very thin layers of varying shades of metallic paint. I expect you are familiar with the term 'pre shading' where defining panel lines are darkened before the top coat is applied. Well in order to achieve a (hopefully realistic) metallic appearance on this model very faint pre shading was applied as each layer was added. This resulted with the effect that the panels change shade depending on how the light strikes them. Well it does when I look at it - the camera of course tells the true story  :-\
It's not been built for competition - haven't actually entered one since 2008(?) when I received a gold at the Scale Model World event in Telford. I felt that was a pinnacle and haven't felt the need to try to repeat it. Since then several models have received awards at various provincial shows including Best in Show but these have been where models have been selected by participants of the show, not by being judged in open competition

Well guys, I think it will be quite a while before another distraction of this kind takes hold so it's been a quiet morning of 'clear up and put away' and a quick catch up in the garden. Now though it's time to make for the workshop to take a good look where we got to on those Atomatic diesels  :)

Thanks again for your interest  :)

regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
Words escape me Ramon!....other than WOW!  Gobsmacked!....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal