Author Topic: Clausing 100 series Mk III screw cutting clutch  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Graham Meek

Clausing 100 series Mk III screw cutting clutch
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
While I am waiting for my visit to see Mac the Knife, I thought I would make a start on this design for my friend CH in Falcon, Colorado, sort of take my mind off things.

Is there anyone who is reconditioning one of these machines who could assist in helping with some of the dimensions I need to save CH having to strip his machine down each time?

While there are similarities with the South Bend the subtle design changes make this no dead cert as to a positive outcome, as a banjo is currently in the way for a trip rod along the back of the bed. I have contacted the factory in the hope that they might help out with a drawing of the Headstock. When I did the Wabeco version the factory in Germany was very helpful.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Thor

Re: Clausing 100 series Mk III screw cutting clutch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:42:29 AM »
Hi Gray,
good to see that you are "still going strong" and developing your screwcutting clutch for yet more lathes. I hope your meeting with "Mac the Knife" is successful and that we soon will see more posts from you.

Regards
Thor

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
Hi Gray,
good to see that you are "still going strong" and developing your screwcutting clutch for yet more lathes. I hope your meeting with "Mac the Knife" is successful and that we soon will see more posts from you.

Regards
Thor

Absolutely!....Can't help with the Clausing Gray...but I've got the popcorn!.. :popcorn:

Post away!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
Just thought I would let you see the progress so far on the Clausing screw cutting clutch, there is a strong resemblance to the South Bend design. I was wondering who copied who, it is currently looking good for another successful outcome.

My best regards
Gray, 

Offline ttrikalin

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
wow -- i just found out about your design for the south bend, excellent.

Since i am restoring mine I may do your clutch.

thanks so much!
take care,

tom in MA

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
YUP....probably this winter Tom....I'll be making one for myself.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »
Hi Tom,

If you need any help do not be afraid to ask, either on the South Bend post or via a Members Message. I would like to know when the design is complete as it is my intention to put all the PDF Drawings for all my designs in one place, where they will be free for all to share.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline C.H. Perdue

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:24:50 AM »
Hi Gray
I'm just hanging out trying to get a little done before the surgery on my shoulder. I have the plugs made and will get the center to center measurements, and the vertical separation this week for you, then  I will be kind of lame for about 6 weeks. I am finishing up the plate to mount the plugs. My shoulder is kind of painful and don't want to be taking pain meds while working on the lathe and mill. Sure way to get a finger torn off. I will be in contact with you on the E Mail address.
Take care my friend, and thank you so much.
CH Perdue

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
Hi CH,

Just thought you and those following this post would like to see the front elevation of the clutch, I am confident we have another addition to the list of lathes that can benefit from this attachment.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Just to give those following this post an up-date, here below are the drawings so far. I must apologise for the delay but health issues on both sides of the Atlantic have slowed down the design process. (Just so that you know, both of us are well on the road to recovery). I will have to ask you to bear with us as regards the trip mechanism as until the main body is finished and in-situ the dimensions required for this mechanism would be pure guesswork at the moment.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Thor

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:42 AM »
Hi Gray,
very nice work (as usual), I am trying to find time to continue work on the version you designed for me.

Regards
Thor

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
Thank you both for sharing that! :praise2:
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
Hi Dave,

Thor is actually working on the Compact 8 version, he is currently way out in front as regards his build and is doing a first class job.

It is interesting in that the Compact 8 never had a tumbler reverse gear to start with. This version of the screw cutting clutch was one of the most challenging to date but hopefully sometime next year we will know whether I was successful or not, (I quietly confident at the moment). Given the rather high bottom speed on the Compact 8 this conversion will be a welcome addition when it comes to screw cutting. There is also a bonus in that many of the Far Eastern Lathes with variable drives which hark back to the Emco design will be able to benefit from a modified version of the Compact 8. Alas I shall have to leave that design to someone else.

My best regards
Gray,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal