Author Topic: Oregon Gears Show  (Read 14048 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Oregon Gears Show
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:47:22 AM »
Oregon Gears is coming up Sept. 27-28, Saturday and Sunday. It's at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, Oregon.

I have nothing to show but plan to attend. If other MEM members are going it would be fun to get together. Anyone else attending? Any interest in getting together for a beer or meal? I'm told Portland has a few brew pubs. If there is interest PM me and I'll try to coordinate.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Oregon Gears Show
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:21:18 AM »
Hi Hugh,
I've been really looking forward to the show this year.  Unfortunately, it turns out I won't be able to make it. :(  I'm going to be hauling my son cross-country to school that weekend.  Just think of me while you're enjoying your drinks and good conversation!  I'll be half way between here and the east coast!  Take lots of pictures and be sure to post them!

Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:28:09 AM »
Well the brass is polished and the bags are packed! My brother and I are headed out in the morning.

Hugh check with me at the show; a brew pub will be on the menu for us both Friday and Saturday evenings. There are some good ones on the east side of the river; we are staying up by the airport so will most likely have dinner in that area. Lucky Labrador, Laurel Wood, Kennedy School, are three that I have been to and are good. I like to keep my options open though. Might give Alameda or Burnside a try.

My guess is because the food at the show is well from a truck, we will most likely be heading from the show directly to dinner. :Lol:

Anybody else going to bee there?

Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 02:12:56 AM »
I'm in Portland tonight after a scenic and interesting 5 day road trip. I'll be at the show but not showing anything.

I look forward to meeting others on the forum.

I won't be able to meet afterward because I'm invited to supper with an old friend I've not seen in 35 years.

--Tim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 02:22:14 AM »
Hey Tim,

Be sure to stop and say hi, I will be the one with the hot air fans.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »
Have fun, and take lots of pictures to post.  Sorry I won't be there this year to say hi to everyone.

Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »
Hi Tim and Dave, yes take some pictures, please. I am always interested in what will be shown  at your side of the pond.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
Have fun guys!! And yes, please take lots of pictures to post so that we can enjoy it from afar.  Unfortunately as usually seems to be the case, I have an annual meeting I attend every year about this time and it rotates between Portland and Eugene. The downside is that it's always one week later than the GEARS show  :( and this year it will be in Eugene as well.

Bill

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
We're going to have a very informal lunch Saturday. The plan is to drive to the Hopworks brew pub, a few miles from the event. If anyone is interested we'll meet in front of the 700 locomotive at 11:30 Saturday. A chance for MEM members, and any other modellers who are interested, to get together.

Looking forward to meet some members at the show.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »
Bill:

It's not that far between Eugene and Portland, and they are a week apart. I'd suggest attending the show, then spend a week at the coast before going to the conference in Eugene. Problem solved! :-)

Hugh

Have fun guys!! And yes, please take lots of pictures to post so that we can enjoy it from afar.  Unfortunately as usually seems to be the case, I have an annual meeting I attend every year about this time and it rotates between Portland and Eugene. The downside is that it's always one week later than the GEARS show  :( and this year it will be in Eugene as well.

Bill
Hugh

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
I wish that was possible Hugh, I always enjoy coming out to the northwest. Unfortunately work does not allow it for now.

Bill

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »
I live only an hour from this show, but hadn't heard about it until your post! Unfortunately, I have plans this weekend that will keep me from going. :(

Enjoy the show, we'll all be anxiously awaiting pictures if you choose to share them!

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 03:25:36 AM »
Hey Tim,

Be sure to stop and say hi, I will be the one with the hot air fans.

Dave

I sure will, Dave.

I'm using my new mobile tablet as my camera on this trip, so we'll see what kind of photos I can get. It seemed to work pretty well today at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. Maybe some difference though, between shooting tie-clip steam engines vs. The Spruce Goose.

--Tim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 01:48:27 AM »
Hi Guys

Got in late last night after driving back to Idaho after the show. The show was enjoyable as always (maybe better than last because it didn't rain) it seemed to have about the same number of exhibitors as last year and also about the same size crowd both days.

Got to see and chat with a few forum members; Gary Hart, Tim (tvoght) Dave Sohlstorm, Hugh Curin, Carl Felty ( I think Carl is a member here). I had a great spot just inside the door and set up next to Gary Hart, and Carl & Carole Felty. You couldn't ask for better company; all in all my brother and I had a great time and the show seems to be making the way through it's transition and continuing to draw spectators and exhibitors.

Hats off to Grant and Joanna Carson and all the volunteers from the railroad museum; with out them GEARS would be a thing of the past.

I snapped a few pictures and my brother also took some; I will post mine first and when I can get the ones my brother took I will also post them.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 01:51:51 AM »
Here are some more.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal