Author Topic: Arnold's take on Elmer's #5 Geared Engine  (Read 38703 times)

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
Arnold's take on Elmer's #5 Geared Engine
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »
Elmer Verburg's #5 Geared engine has been on my To-Build list for quite a while.  Most of the build shouldn't be particularly challenging - it has a lot in common with a couple of Elmer's other engines I've built. 
The steam chest and valving layout is identical to many of Elmer's engines.  The cylinder block follows the same theme, though it is a bit longer than others of a similar type; normally Elmer opted for 34.93mm (1 3/8") long cylinders, but on this engine the stroke is a bit longer, and the cylinder is 47.63mm (1 7/8") long.  This is because the stroke length is dependent on the gearing - requiring the longer stroke.

My main challenge for this build will be making the internal gear.  Yes, it can be purchased, but where's the fun in that  :LittleDevil: .

I'm not particularly fond of the aesthetics as Elmer's built it, so I'll be making some changes to suit my taste without altering any of the main dimensions.

Jo asked for a GA (General Arrangement), so I edited this post to add one:

For a better idea, you can have a look at Geoff of Inky Engine's excellent example shown earlier on MEM.

As always, everyone's interaction in the build log is most welcome, be it critique, questions, or just checking in.  This post is a bit lengthy, as I had a good shop session.

For the cylinder, I started off with some 25mm aluminium square bar - this is extruded barstock, so a bit gummy to work with, but worked well for some of my other Elme's engines, so will work for this one:

I cut a section off a couple of mm over-length, and used a pair of old scissors to cut some aluminiun from a discarded can of Namibia's finest lager:

One end of the stock was faced off in the four jaw chuck; I didn't bother to center it precisely; just checked the jaws against the rings on the chuck to center it approximately:

When I wanted to use my height gauge to mark the stock out to length, I found the battery flat, and no spares in stock, so I just used the digital calipers to mark it to length after colouring in the ends with a permanent marker:

I then faced that end to split the marked line - Elmer's engines are very forgiving, and for the most part there's no need to get things super accurate:

The cylinder bore is offset in the stock, so I marked the center of the bore on the stock face and used a scriber to press a decent dimple in it:

The tailstock center was brought close without touching, and I adjusted the chuck to roughly center the dot to the tailstock center:

Next I used a tailstock dead center stuck between the dimple in the stock and the tailstock live center, together with a dial indicator to center the stock a bit more closely.  0.05mm is plenty good enough here:
[youtube1]http://youtu.be/jyjICNrmu2U[/youtube1]

The stock was center drilled, and then I used a 6.5mm drill to drill the through-hole.  This is the ideal type of job to use one of the "lesser-used" drill sizes from the drill set, as they get to see a bit of use for a change, as well as having the benefit that in all likelyhood those lesser used drills are sharper and will drill holes more accurately than more often-used drills:

Next I drilled the hole out to 11.8mm to ream 12mm.  The swarf came off in two nice evenly-sized curls, showing that this drill also cut nice and true:

I then set up to ream the hole - A different view for a change :

After reaming the hole, I marked the face - I'll use this side of the workpiece as the "inboard" side of the cylinder.  This doesn't really matter too much on Elmer's engines though; it's just one of my pet preferences:

The outside was turned down to size for a length of 6.3mm.  The protective packing was sticking out a bit far, so I just turned right into it.  I took a note of the cross-slide reading at final size for later:

To turn the external round on the other side, I loosened the two adjacent chuck jaws on the sides of the workpiece where the external round was closest to the sides - taking note which jaws (#4 and #1 as it happened), and reversed the workpiece, turning it so that the same sides of the workpiece would be in contact with the same jaws on the chuck.  I then tightened the noted jaws - applying about equal torque as when I originally tightened them for the other side of the workpiece.  A quick check with a close-fitting bit of rod in the bore, and it's within 0.02mm accurate - I didn't even bother to adjust that out:

I once again used the permanent marker to colour in the sides, and the caliper to scribe the 6.3mm width on it, and turned to split the line and down to the cross-slide reading I'd noted earlier:

Next I layed out the center of the port holes on the one side, and the longitudinal offset lines of the exhaust and mounting holes on the other side.  One has to be careful here to choose the correct sides according to the plans.  I didn't mark out all the holes; I'd be using the DRO to find their locations.  If I didn't have the DRO, I'd have layed out all the holes:

Next on to the mill; I centered the DRO on the marked out location, and then spot-drilled the exhaust port holes:

The port holes are supposed to use a #57 drill (I don't know how you guys in the US can stand this silly naming convention  :LittleDevil: ) - which is 1.09mm.  A 1.1mm drill would do the job, but I didn't have one, so the other options was a 1mm or 1.2mm drill.  I opted for the 1.2mm drill; the ports can do with slightly bigger holes without any ill effect.  Those were drilled 3mm deep into the workpiece:

I next calculated the offsets for the intake ports, located those, and drilled 4.7mm deep with a 2mm drill in either end of each port location:

The slots were milled to depth with a 2mm slot mill - taking many light passes and blowing away chips constantly.  Then the slots were milled to 2.5mm width with a couple of light passes as well:

The valve chest mounting holes were drilled 1.6mm to a depth of four mm:

Then tapped M2 using a drop of methylated spirits as cutting fluid on each:

I set the vise stop to the end of the workpiece before loosening and rotating it to the other layed out surface.  Then I spotted the exhaust passage location.  The vise stop kept the X center location, and I just cranked to the layed-out line by eye for the Y position:

The passage was drilled 2.5mm to meet up with the three 1.2mm holes drilled on the valve face:

The mounting holes were drilled 2.5mm to 4.7mm deep and tapped M3:

In the past, I've always used the dividing head or rotary table to drill the cylinder cover mounting holes for Elmer's engine blocks.  So it was time to try something different.  The workpiece was mounted vertically in the vise, and I picked up the center of the bore with a dial test indicator and set the DRO to zero on that:

The cylinder hole locations are slightly important; if they're drilled at the wrong angle, the one hole will interfere with the steam passage, so I spotted the approximate hole locations with a permanent marker to prevent a brain-fart:

Then I set the DRO to drill six holes on a 19mm PCD, and spotted the holes:

The holes were then drilled 1.6mm to a depth of 5mm:

I then tapped the holes M2 - using the collet chuck as a tapping guide and repeating the hole locations on the DRO.  At that point the animals in the zoo started complaining about getting fed, so I cleaned up the workpiece a bit for a parting shot and abandoned shop:

Kind regards, Arnold
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:00:41 PM by arnoldb »
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: Arnold's take on Elmer's #5 Geared Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
Always ready for another Arnold build. The prospects of making the internal gear has got me on the edge of my seat.

--Tim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »
Way to go Arnold.  There is no stopping you.

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
Go for it Arnold you can do it. I like the idea of making your own gear. Ay least when complete you can say I made the gear when asked. Your certainly off to a great start and I'm in for the ride bud.

:popcorn:
Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
Looks like you are off to a good start Arnold 8)

Special request: Could you post a picture or a GA of one of these engines so the members know what you are trying to build.  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
Hi Arnold,
You've made a great start on another engine!  I'll be following along.

Thanks for sharing your build with us,
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Hi Arnold, that is an interesting gear concept. Not so easy to make. I will following along.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Looking forward to this one Arnold!!  You have been busy already from what all the pictures show!!  Nice start on a very interesting engine.

Bill

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »
One question, Arnold. As you are making the cylinder from aluminum, will you sleeve it?  And, if so, what with? I ask because I have made patterns based on Elmers various cylinders listed in the appendix, and will cast them in Aluminum.

Chuck

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »
Thanks all  :)

I edited the first post in this thread to add the GA, and also a link to Geoff's post on this engine.

Chuck, from my own point of view, it's not necessary to sleeve the cylinders at all.  Model steam/air engines don't get to see a lot of use, and there's no real reason for making them true to "real" engines, unless you're building a genuine scale model.  There's an additional point that many people miss - Aluminium is easy to machine, but in it's oxide form, it's extremely hard - to the point where many grinding wheels are made using aluminium oxide.  After machining, a thin layer of aluminium oxide (aluminium rust) forms quite rapidly on a workpiece's surfaces.  In the case of a cylinder bore, that means a brass or bronze piston running in it would be worn down by the aluminium bore rather than the other way round. The major disadvantages of using aluminium for any engine (live steam or internal combustion) is it's rate of expansion, which is quite large and often not wanted.  For live steam engines, it's good thermal heat conductivity is actually a bad thing as well, though that's put to good use on internal combustion engines.  But for any of Elmer's engines running on air, a plain aluminium finish should be just fine.

------

I couldn't wait to get into the workshop this afternoon, and (as fools do) I rushed in and made a booboo  :-[ .  In my previous post, I showed dotting the expected hole locations for the cylinder head to make sure they were in the right locations.  My first job to do was to add the bolt holes to the other side of the cylinder.  Well, I should take my own advice :facepalm2: - I didn't pre-mark the holes - just centered up and ran the DRO's bolt-circle program (which was conveniently stored from the last session).  There's a 50/50 chance of being lucky and getting it right - I lost the odds (like I usually do - which is why I don't gamble).  I didn't notice this till a bit later though...

The next logical machining step would have been to complete the steam passages.  Yeah right.  I forgot about that, already being on a fool's errand  :Jester: .  So I made the mistake of vigorously taking off stock from the workpiece:

Right to the scribed line:

With one section now below the "roundings" on the cylinder, I needed to add a bit of packing to mill out the other section - an aluminium scrap bit between the last milled surface and the vise jaw worked fine for that:

At this point I got the double-whammy...  I realized I hadn't drilled the steam passages, and already milled away the convenient bits of the workpiece used for clamping it in the vise.  And I realized the bolt pattern for the second cylinder face was rotated 90o - resulting in a bolt hole close to where the steam passage must go  :facepalm: After a very quick name-calling session at myself (F - idiot, where F didn't stand for "fool") I just had a good laugh at myself and decided to carry on.  You're most welcome to laugh at me too if you want to - I'll even join you  :lolb:

The workpiece had about 7 hours of work in it at that point; the choice was to start from scratch, or see if I can make it work.  I opted for the latter.  The ideal would have been to have some aluminium rod to thread up M2 and plug the "wrong" holes - but with only 10mm ali round in stock, I didn't fancy the wastage in turning it down for this.  So I layed out some markings to see where the steam passage would go, and eyeballed things in the mill - it might just work:

I used a 1.5mm end mill to mill a small flat to start the drilled passage on:

Then used a 1mm center drill (in the foreground on the vise in the next photo) to drill a start on the flat, followed by a 1mm drill to about 15mm deep:

A 1.6mm (1/16") drill followed - it travelled nicely in the 1mm hole (and didn't break into the bolt hole).  I had a strip of beer-can stuck in the milled valve hole - that indicated nicely when the hole broke through - by showing some swarf and wiggling around:

It barely made the bottom of the steam port - but that's OK:

The other steam passage was easy to do; I just scribed Elmer's 8o reference line, mounted it parallel to the vertical side of the vise jaw, milled the port cut-out with a 2mm slot mil, center drilled the start and poked the 1.6mm drill through it:

The "roundy" bits on Elmer's engine cylinders can be a bit tricky to make.  One can take a rotary table or dividing head and do the set-up needed for that, but I like quick-and-lazy.  A double-layer of masking tape on each cylinder cover face and a close-fitting rod shoved through the cylinder bore makes it easy to start milling facets without marring the cylinder cover ends of the workpiece.  Light cuts needed; things are not overly secure.:

After about six rotations:

Off to the bench vise, and an introduction to Mr. File (neither shaken nor stirred - just flat and carefully applied stroke by stroke):

OK, I'll admit it; most people don't like filing, and neither do I - my paperwork's in a terrible state...  However, there's something therapeutic about taking a file to metal - a sort of synergy between human-tool-workpiece - a process which I find extremely gratifying.

After filing the round (and flats, to get rid of milling marks), I used a bit of green Scotch-Brite to give things a quick & dirty brushed look for now.  Some final work will be done at assembly:

The port face was flat-lapped on some 600 grit emery:

One more for the road; for now the cylinder block is done, though I might make some changes to it later on to compensate for the offset holes on the two ends... :

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
Arnold, great start on your engine. I have this about 80% complete. I stopped when I found out how much the internal gear cost.   :o. I look forward to see how you cut your gear.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:55 AM »
You are really zipping along on this one Arnold. That cylinder turned out well and hopefully the mis-aligned holes are only a cosmetic issue.

Bill

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 05:28:42 AM »
I've been looking forward this this build :) great start, looking forward to the next update already :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Nicolas

Offline EmanMyford

• Durban, South Africa
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »
Good going Arnold. I have pulled up a chair  :popcorn: and will definately be following your build. Great as usual :ThumbsUp:

Kind Regards.
Ewald

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
Arnold
I really enjoy your build logs: warts and all. Anytime I mill myself into a corner, I try to include that in my logs, hoping that it may prevent some other hapless soul from repeating that particular operation.
Actually, I find figuring a way out of the corner to be one of the more interesting aspects of an engine build.
Anxious to see the gear cutting as I'll be doing a bit of it on my next build.
Looks like a great start to another of your excellent builds.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal