Author Topic: A Stirling and a Praxinoscope  (Read 10349 times)

fcheslop

A Stirling and a Praxinoscope
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
Hello,
        I have for a very long time wanted to own a Plank Stirling engine with a Praxinoscope but have never been lucky enough to be able to buy one at auction.
The engine will be based upon the Plank design so if you should think that not enough of this build is to my own ideas then please move or delete it
First of I need to thank the people who have and are making this build possible as without there kindness it simply will not happen
Thanks Huib and sorry I kept you from youre bed :ThumbsUp:
Peter Olausson for taking the time to give me some dimensions from youre original Plank engine
To Gottfried Malek and Manfred Graf for making youre work available through either forums or Machinen Im Modellbau 6/2009
So I now have some ideas rolling around my feeble head
Having looked at the Plank in the 1905 catalogue Im not keen on the engine just mounted on a block of wood but like the wrought frame detail of the other engine and this is the way forward I think.
The Praxinoscope and drive system will be detailed later would this have to be else where on the forum just not sure and would appreciate some one letting me know
So a start has been made and she is partly drawn up as I like to have a few bit n bobs to fondle as I go.She may end up a non runner or stuck under the bench in frustration like my rotating power cylinder engine.
Looks like a little bit of fabrication is needed and a good bit of spinning as I think that maybe the easiest way to make some of the burner parts.
Iv attached a few pics so you can see what Im mumbling on about.
The rough drawings will be posted a long with a quick run through the parts
Sorry gents and lady the drawings are metric as my graph paper is now metric :Lol:For some reason when building hot air I think in metric but for Steam imp just my whack y way.
Pic 1 the original Plank and Praxinoscope
pic2 the 1905 cat
pic3 an original Plank with the wraught frame
well thats all for now time for a good malt and a bit of Mr Einaudi
Cheers

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: A Stirling and a Praxinoscope
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
By 'ek, Frazer!  :o

You do set yourself on, at times........   :thinking:

Looking forward to watching this develop. Good luck, Marra!  :cheers:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »
How typically interesting of you Frazer. I'll be following, there's some elegant work there, and I'm wondering what pictures you'll use in the praxinoscope, a word that you don't get to pop into just any conversation!

Cheers, Hugh.

fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
Thanks David, just divent hold ya breath she is going to be a long long slow build and I can see a large scrap sorry re cycling pile :lolb:
Cheers Hugh , I keep having to check my spelling.
I have already looked into the Praxinoscope and  :o they are still made and sold you can even get one for $9
Automata is another secret hobby /collection I have :Lol: from my dark and distant past :Lol:
http://blog.dugnorth.com/search?updated-max=2010-01-01T11:56:00-05:00&max-results=3
cheers

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
Frazer, always nice to see a new and in this case unique project starting up here. Looks to be a fun one to follow too!!

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:15:27 AM »
Sorry gents and lady the drawings are metric as my graph paper is now metric :Lol:
  :ThumbsUp:

There is going to be an interesting bit of fabrication in this engine 8)

One day I might have to make another Stirling engine  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

fcheslop

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
Thanks Bill, just keep me right :ThumbsUp:
Jo thats a terrible confession  :embarassed: far better than those smelly petrol engine thingy ma bobs :hellno:
cheers

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
I just need the right  :embarassed: model to tempt me.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

fcheslop

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Im sure there must be something that will :Love: :mischief:
Just think no swearing when the prop bites or the HT goes were it shouldn't :lolb:
cheers

fcheslop

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »
Well here goes a little back to front I know but I wanted to make sure that she would work.
I will post pics of the drawings with each part as she now needs stripping and fettling and some proper screws fitting.
Would any one be interested in doing some proper drawings once she is finished for forum use?? as my pencil drawings are a little poor to say the least; That is if anyone else is daft enough to want to build one.
The ratio worked out at 2.31:1 so I was reasonably certain she would run and she didnt disappoint even with only 3 screws holding the hot cap on and a slight leak she will run of a candle.
I do intend showing the fabrication and spinning of the fire box/burner parts although Im totally self taught in the black art of spinning so if you know better then please chip in.
Well here she finally is in all her glory although she does need finishing
For some reason the video link is only showing as that small icon  :rant: :killcomputer:

You can see the missing and mangled building screws.I tend to reuse these screws on every build then once finished fit new screws/bolts after first bluing them .
best wishes
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:41:18 PM by fcheslop »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
That's an elegant looking engine  :praise2:  :praise2: I hope you can get the video link to work. I have had many problems linking them so can't offer any real help.
Have you got the Praxinoscope (or even a Zoescope) sorted out?
Best regards

Roger

fcheslop

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Hi Rodger, click the little icon it seems to work
The Praxinoscope Im searching the baking isles for a suitable cake tin :facepalm: and Im looking for mirrors maybe ladies compacts knew I should have kept working for Rimmel :embarassed:
They are still available commercially but that would be far to easy
cheers

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:41 AM »
Frazer, the video link worked fine and it's quite a fine little runner. Now looking forward to the praxinoscope part of the project :)

Well done!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
That is a awesome project Frazer, so is the Sterling engine. I want to see more on your Praxinoscope built, that is too cool.

Don

fcheslop

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
Thanks Bill and Don, Still a lot to do just on the engine.Then the counter shaft set up
cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal