Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 158769 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »
Looks like your making a lot of progress Achim. Those cylinders are looking great and love the gasket printer. Still following you and taking notes.

:popcorn:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »
That gasket printer is slick Achim!!  Can you provide a few more details on it?

Bill

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2015, 05:15:34 AM »
That gasket printer is slick Achim!!  Can you provide a few more details on it?

Bill
Hi Bill, the cutter is a product of your country. I am sure it is made in Asia but the company is based in the US.
http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/portrait
I have spent the money 2 years ago and I have never regret it.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Don, Joe, Roger thanks for watching. Good to know that I am still under observation, so I have to be careful with what I show and I write here.
I didnīt find the time to add the pictures from last Sunday here, so here they are.
Mostly my computer and the CNC mill have been busy, I have been watching lazy and only giving some drips of coolant into the holes and on the drill bits.
The swarf is still on the bench I will clean it later. Last thing to do is the tapping of the M3 and M 2,5 threads.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Very nice work Achim, your parts are beautiful!

I remember looking at the cutting machine back when you were making the decals for the power enclosure; I never had given a thought to using if for cutting gaskets. Do you have to use their software or is there a way to import a CAD file (DXF)?

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2015, 12:05:50 AM »
Oooooh! Nice shiny cylinder heads,  :Love: your catch up with me Achim. Seeing the family shot of the cylinder and heads, she's shaping up.  :cartwheel:

Don

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:32 AM »
Very nice work Achim, your parts are beautiful!

I remember looking at the cutting machine back when you were making the decals for the power enclosure; I never had given a thought to using if for cutting gaskets. Do you have to use their software or is there a way to import a CAD file (DXF)?

Dave
Hi Dave, their software is necessary to run the plotter. There are a lot of adjustments done by the software, i.e. for the thicker materials like gasket paper, the cutting speed will be reduced and the knife will be leaded twice on all outlines.
There is no need to use the drawing section of their software. With the DXF Import function you will get the CAD prepared gasket drawing direct in their library and into the cutting section. Very easy to handle and to adjust.
My first cut copy paper sample was a bit tight at the dimension for the big inner hole. So an adjustment in CAD was made to that dimension  by increasing the circle with 0,2 mm, a new import and sample cut and the problem was solved.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:37:09 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2015, 07:21:29 AM »
Hi Don, thanks for watching. Sorry I have covered the shine now.
A couple of days ago I have made the powder coating of the cylinders and the pedestals.
The challenge was to coat only the outside visible surface and to keep the seat of the cylinder and the faces to the combustion chambers  free of any coating.
Basic idea was to do some masking with covers and tape. From earlier experience with the powder I have put the masking tape this time on the covers and not to the part itself.
The changeover from part to tape is always critical, because of powder collection at this line.
The masking worked very well in my opinion, but during the degreasing I have done a mistake.
My target was to coat the two water in tubes in the same colour like the cylinders. So they should be in place before coating. I have done this with epoxy glue and as usual, it was heated in the toaster oven.
After this I have been at bit impatient and made the degreasing with a brush and chemical gun degreaser to the part when it was still hot, approximately 50° C.
The result could be seen unfortunately after the coating process. The degreaser was partly vaporised before he has done his complete job, so some rest of oil and cutting fluid was still at the surface. The result is a partly not so well coating surface in some areas and I have learned something for the future.
In this case it is like it is and it will be a special of this build.
Finally it is looking not perfect but I can live with that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:14:34 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2015, 07:37:03 AM »
Looks excellent to me  :praise2:  :praise2: When you make things you notice every little imperfection that no one else will ever see  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »
Looks excellent to me  :praise2: :praise2: When you make things you notice every little imperfection that no one else will ever see  ::)
Hi Roger, thanks for the friendly words.
But you will see, if you look from the right angle.
cylinder #01 is worse.
cylinder #02 is better.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #235 on: July 04, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »
Hi everybody, here the up date from last week end.
Shop time is rare at the moment.
The cylinder heads are nearly done now.
To get the faces 100% parallel, I have made them all in one set up.
For the water jacket the accuracy is not so important, so I have made two layout templates and the machining was controlled visuall only.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
Cylinder heads look good Achim. We should be getting a family shot pretty soon. Nice work!

Don

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #237 on: July 04, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
Hi Don, thanks for watching. Next to do is the well known hole pattern into the cylinder heads and the final covers for each side.
That will be the point for the next family shot.
Hopefuly tomorrow I will find some shop time again.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2015, 12:35:28 AM »
Just getting caught up with your progress Achim. It sure is shaping up nicely and you have gotten a lot  done since I last looked.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2015, 01:16:41 AM »
Good to see more progress on the Snow Achim.

The heads are coming along nicely.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal