Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 158871 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
Hi Achim

Lots of little details going into this engine; I like the warning sticker you have made for the electrical enclosure. Can you tell us a little about the process that you used to make it and the the cutting machine seen in the picture?

Great Work!

Dave

Hi Dave,
this is the simple secret behind the stickers. I think a Chinese product, but offered and marketed in the US.
http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/machines/portrait
The included software is able to import dxf files from the CAD.
The flash (picture) was found anywhere in the net, imported into the CAD and redrawn. Finally a dxf file was made.
In the plotter software any kind of scaling is possible, so I have cut to the size of 12 x 5 mm.
The plotter was bought 3 years ago, mainly for the purpose to cut any kind of gaskets.
Thanks for the compliment.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:50:45 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:48 PM »
Fantastic detail as usual Achim. It's little touches like the ignition box that make a project stand out from the rest. I have seen quite a few of these engines built over the years and I must say that they were all built very well but none have the finishing touches of yours.
gbritnell

Hi George, thank you very much for your compliment. It honours me of course very much if an experienced model engine maker like you is writing these kind words. I am always looking into your builds and I  recognize immediately that I will have a long way to go to reach your level. 
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
Hi everybody, a little progress at this project. I have found some shop time and did some work with the brown stuff.
Also the barring rack has got more shape now.
Here some pictures at the end of the day.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2015, 06:53:32 PM »
It's coming along well  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Maybe I'll get to Munich this summer to see it in the metal  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »
Good progress Achim.  Could you tell me the purpose of the top part of the barring rack?

Vince

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2015, 07:57:38 PM »
Good progress Achim.  Could you tell me the purpose of the top part of the barring rack?

Vince

Hi Vince, yes I can explane the purpose now, because I have been in contact with the guys at the Coolspring Power Museum, where such an engine is still running. This box at the real engine contains a weight preloaded electrical switch.
In one of the rectangle wholes in the fly wheel is a spring preloaded pin which will be moved by centrifugal force at 120 RPM. This pin get in contact with a lever of the switch and the ignition will be cut  off. So we have a kind of rev limiter with emergency cut off. In my case, it will be a fake only, but I was impressed by the system, so I am trying to show it.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2015, 08:10:28 PM »
It's coming along well  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Maybe I'll get to Munich this summer to see it in the metal  :)

Hi Roger, as already mentioned earlier, you are welcome.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the info Achim.

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2015, 12:11:27 AM »
Nice to see you back at Achim and I do like the barring rack nice touch to an already great engine. On day I will tackle this project, as I have always loved the snow engine.

Don

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2015, 01:24:25 AM »
Nice update Achim

I got to see two of the 6, 400hp Snow engines run at Heath Station PA one summer evening while attending the Coolspring show. This was before they were decommissioned (about ten years ago) and were still able to pump gas and did when the Waukeisha was down for maintenance; wow what a sight!

You are making great progress on your Snow.
Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »
Nice update Achim

I got to see two of the 6, 400hp Snow engines run at Heath Station PA one summer evening while attending the Coolspring show. This was before they were decommissioned (about ten years ago) and were still able to pump gas and did when the Waukeisha was down for maintenance; wow what a sight!

You are making great progress on your Snow.
Dave

Hi Dave, I can imagine, that seeing one of this engines running directly in front of your eyes must be a really extraordinary show. May be one day I will get it managed to visit the Coolspring Power Museum and this at the same time when Cabin Fever or Names will be held so I can combine some special events.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2015, 05:55:44 AM »
.... On day I will tackle this project, as I have always loved the snow engine.

Don

Hi Don, I am sure you will really do it, so I am waiting for your version of the Snow. If I go ahead with the same speed at this build I have done until now, you will have finished yours earlier. 
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
Hi everybody, another small step is done.
The barring rack is finished now.
I have added a fake "ignition emergency cut lever" similar to the original one.
Next to do, the water cooling system should be finalised. So I have started with the water tank.
The side plates are milled from a 15 mm aluminium plate, the body is made from a rectangle aluminium tube.
Everything glued together with some epoxy glue. The first filling with water did not show any leakage.
Unfortunately my shop time is already over again for this weekend.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
Achim I like the way your water tank came out. Can you show more pictures of the fabrication? I would like to see how you did the bottom.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
That is looking fantastic achim!! All the little details add so much.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal