Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 157772 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #630 on: September 03, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
R&D department, section failure analysis, has been busy and has to announce new results.

This was also the opportunity, to make the, since long time scheduled, pressurised air supply to my working place at the window.
Now I was able to pressurize each cylinder with 2,5 bar (35 psi). Starting with the cylinders from the fly wheel side, there was nothing unusual.
No noises could be head when the valves are closed. If the valves started to open, than the air could be heard clearly in the exhaust or inlet manifold.
The other two cylinders are a bit different. It does not matter which side is pressurized, there is always a kind of blow by in the other spark plug hole noticeable.
It can be heard already from the beginning of the video. To make it more clear, I tried to record the noise in the second part by interrupting the air supply.
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/D_fm1Jo7GpM[/youtube1]
My very first assumption is, this is caused by the earlier failure with the loose piston in this cylinder,see reply #601.
It could be, that during my starting attempts with the piston rod moving into the piston, instead of moving the piston in the cylinder, I have created some wear and the connection piston rod to piston is not sealed any more.
So another disassembly of this cylinder will be necessary. May be some epoxy glue or JB Weld will help to close the very small gap.
On the left side are also some bubbles between cylinder and cylinder head visible, but this is not a big mess.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:33:35 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #631 on: September 03, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
A leak like that will certainly reduce the output from that cylinder group  :( Hopefully the problem/damage is not too serious  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #632 on: September 03, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
Achim,
I just caught up on your trials & tribulations with your Snow engine. I hope you get things sorted out without to much trouble. I think I'll pass on this as my first multi cylinder engine.  :)
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #633 on: March 24, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »
Hi everybody,
the last picture from 2017 and the last attached one are very similar, showing nearly the same mess at the same place.
The big different, the attached one is from today and yes I have attacked the Snow engine again.
Some weeks ago I have received a friendly e-mai from Jeff (Rustkolector) where he offered some help by reporting about all his long and intensive research and development work with his Snow engine. One important recommendation was to make new cams with 46° angle. The rear one at the CAD picture, front one is the original like the drawing.
I have given the order to Fusion360 and the CNC millling machine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:45:40 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #634 on: March 24, 2019, 01:37:32 PM »
Today was the day of a proper new adjusting of the timing and ignition again.
Some fuel was loaded and after a quick moment my Snow engine was running like a clockwork.
I was so surprised about the smooth running, that I totally forgot that there was no cooling.
So after some watching of the very smooth and slowly motion I had to stop the engine and to fill up the coolant first time.
That ends in a wet mess, but nothing what not could be sealed quickly.
I have had some successfully runnings, but when I have started to make a video, that was unfortunately the moment when the middle connection between the piston rod came loose, which I assume was followed be a loose piston also.
So ignore the strange sound in the video, that will be another issue to fix now.
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/uPzzU0yKeP8[/youtube1]

Jeff (RUSTKOLECTOR) thank you very much.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:42:28 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #635 on: March 24, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »
Great progress Achim. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Vince

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #636 on: March 24, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
It is fantastic that after all your work on that engine, it finally is beginning to run as it should - really hope that you solve the last bits too Achim  :cheers:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #637 on: March 24, 2019, 10:05:13 PM »
Achim,
Sounds like a good run. Just a little more sorting out. :cartwheel: Time for the happy dance.
Art
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:46:44 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #638 on: March 25, 2019, 03:15:35 AM »
Vince, Per, Art thank you for watching and the friendly words.
Indeed it was such a good feeling to see and hear the engine running that way.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:42:26 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #639 on: March 25, 2019, 04:29:31 AM »
Achim, that is so exciting to see your snow run!  Really neat to watch!
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #640 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:50 AM »
Hi Achim, great to see you back on the Snow, it is a very interesting looking engine.  Congratulations on getting it running so well. 

Just a final mechanical issue now. 

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #641 on: March 25, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »
Your perseverance is paying off Achim!  I'm happy for you and the positive result.
Charlie

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #642 on: March 25, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
Just saw the latest video Achim. Very very nice and looks to be running well now.

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #643 on: March 25, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Kim, MJM460, Charlie and Bill, thanks for watching and giving friendly comments.
It was really a great feeling to see the ongoing motion after such a long time, starting with the first swarf in Juli 2014.
On the other side, I am also very  happy to be part of this MEM community, where a Lady and some Gentlemen are always prepared to offer some very useful help.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #644 on: March 25, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
Excellent progress Achim,  It certainly is an intriguing engine to watch running.  Well Done :ThumbsUp:                Regards       Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal