Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 159231 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
What, Munich and no snow!  Usually it would be covered by now.

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »
The gears look nice Achim. Did you make them and the distributor?

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 07:33:36 PM »
Hi Don, the gears are available at Boston Gear via Amazon. They have shipped it to Germany for $ 7.
I have bought the complete ignition system from http://www.cncengines.com/snowengine.html including the  distributor.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Hi everybody, now we have some snow in Munich, 3/4 of an inch and it is more geled water than snow.
Today I have worked at the distributor again. The distributor finger has a hole for the shaft only but now kind of dog. So I have decided to make one. First I have flatted the end of the shaft. Second I have made a small key (? do not know if the right word for it).
The intention was now to get this tiny part into the hole of the finger.I thing it is the smallest part I have ever made, 1,5 mm by 3 mm.
Epoxy glue should be the right answer for this job. To fix it in position I used the distributor shaft.
The candle in picture 04 is not there because it is Christmas, I have used the wax to give the shaft a thin coating.
My hope was, that after positioning the key (?) in the finger, I can pull the shaft out without taking this small part out again.
It worked in the  expected way, now I have to wait 24 h and we will see, if it still fits together than.
The gear/distributor bracket is also coated in the meantime.
Merry Christmas

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:38:05 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »
Still no silversteel for the crank shaft pin arrived on Saturday, so we will proceed with the ignition system.
I have made the magnet disk.
Fixed the magnets by some epoyx glue.
Cross Check if every south pole is facing to the sensor.
Final assembly and "opps", I need a special prepared allen key. In my case 1,3 mm, because the set screw in my version is M 2,5 mm.
Now I know, why Roy from S/S has added an allen key and a #3-48 set screw in his delivery of the ignition system, good guy, even if it was for my metric version useless.
Next to do, complete wiring and test of the ignition system, but have to make a bracket for the four plugs first.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 09:46:12 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »
Have you checked your ignition system for spark? Mine wouldn't spark. I had to move the hall sensor from the side to the bottom of the distributer housing.
Gary
"Effort equals Results"

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
Hi Gary, I am in the lucky position to say, yes we have sparks. Half an hour ago, I have made the test. Here is documentation of the result.
[youtube1]http://youtu.be/GH2eLATDuis[/youtube1]
What we need now, are only 4 combustion chambers and some valves.......
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
That is looking great Achim and with a good spark, half the battle is won!!  One question I have pondered though...given that opposites attract magnetically, and given the earth's North pole...doesn't the compass needle pointing North have to have a South pole characteristic on order to be attracted to the Earth's North pole. And if that is the case, wouldn't the pole of the Hall magnet attracting the compass needle therefore have to be North as well?  Obviously this isn't the case because yours worked and I have used the CDI ignition also and oriented the magnet the same as you did, but why?  Maybe someone can help me wrap my head around this question.

Bill

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »
I'm happy your ignition system sparked, :cartwheel: I have no idea why I had a problem. Continue the beautiful work, you'll have a runner soon. Thanks for taking the time to post your step by step build. Gary
"Effort equals Results"

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »
One question I have pondered though...given that opposites attract magnetically, and given the earth's North pole...doesn't the compass needle pointing North have to have a South pole characteristic on order to be attracted to the Earth's North pole. And if that is the case, wouldn't the pole of the Hall magnet attracting the compass needle therefore have to be North as well?  Obviously this isn't the case because yours worked and I have used the CDI ignition also and oriented the magnet the same as you did, but why?  Maybe someone can help me wrap my head around this question.

Bill

Hi Bill, your thoughts may be right. I have be not looking in this direction. I have done only, what Roy has written in his documentation:
"An important note is, that a South pole only triggers the sensor. An easy way to test this with a small compass. The South Pole of the magnet will attract the north needle of the compass."
That is exactly what I have done.
May be the reason is, that we are beside the north/south line of the magnetic field of the earth and not above or under ?

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
Great job on getting the ignition working Achim.

Are those spark plugs homemade or did you buy them.

Vince
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:13:55 PM by vcutajar »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »
Great job on getting the ignition working Achim.

Are those spark plugs homemade or did you make them.

Vince

Hi Vince, these are Rimfire VR2  spark plugs. You can by all over the world, i.e. here http://minimagneto.co.uk
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »
Guess you had to get an imperial tap for them.

Vince

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
Guess you had to get an imperial tap for them.

Vince

Yes, it is 1/4 UNEF, very common in all RC engines with glow plugs, also all over the world. So no problem to get the taps.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:22:58 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
Cool Achim and bet your glad to get that out the way.   :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back