Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 159142 times)

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
Hi Roger, Hi Don, thanks for watching and commenting. Since I have this discounter toaster oven in my shop, the relationship to my "First Lady" is more relaxed, because I do not use the kitchen oven anymore.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Hi everybody, again some progress is done.
First I have reamed the second crankshaft bearing and done a first assembly with a simple shaft.
After fixing all the bolts of the bearing blocks, I took a deep breath and tried to turn the shaft.
Expecting that it will not be possible, I was totally surprised, that the shaft could easily turned. So the first reason for a happy dance like the pink elephant.
Next step is to give the final coating to the bearing blocks. Preparation as usual, all important faces are masked.
First time I have used my new toy, an airbrush spray booth. After the first usage it took me 2 Minutes to clean everything. A really very good investment. Found by accident at ebay. After usage it can be reduced to the size of a briefcase for storage.
So at the end of this day there are  really some part of this build collected and finally a short video of the first motion.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGKBqyp1EIo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGKBqyp1EIo</a>
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »
That looks great Achim  :ThumbsUp:

Nice find on the spray booth as well!

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
I think that you would have definitely been in trouble for baking on the paint in the 'First Ladies' oven  ;)

Good progress  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
Nice work Achim and I also like you spray booth. Isn't it great when all you hard work pays off. The brearing block came out great, nice and smooth.

:popcorn:
Don

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »
Hi Arnold, Roger and Don, thanks for watching and the kind words. Next to be made, the crankshaft, but I think it will take some time. Comming weekend I have to do  some show preparation, because some members of our German Steam Forum (Dampfforum) will celebrate the 10th anniversary at this exhibition
http://www.industriemuseum-lauf.de/noflash/Page2264.html .
Most of us will be there at the secound weekend. It is a nice place, close to Nürnberg. An old factory building, close to the river.
Also on display in this museum http://www.industriemuseum-lauf.de/noflash/Page1938.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:00:03 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2014, 04:14:52 PM »
Hi everybody, back to the Snow build.
I have started the crank shaft now.
Here quick and dirty some pictures, nothing special.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2014, 04:25:25 PM »
What's the reason for heating the crank webs?

Vince

Offline crankshafter

• Molde, Norway
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
What's the reason for heating the crank webs?

Vince
Vince.?
I think Achim heated them to get them separated from the glue. Se the third picture.
CS

"I cut it twice, and it's still to short"!!??">#%

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
Yes.  That makes a lot of sense.

Vince

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
Hi Vince, there are different possibilities to connect two single part for machining. One is soft soldering, let's say the old fashion way. Another one is epoxy glue. After gluing it together, I have put it into the oven, 180°C for 10 Minutes. You can start the machining immediately.
For the later separating after machining you need something around 250°C the glue will die and you have single parts again.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Hi Achim, glad you are back in the workshop. I don't think that that crank would fit in a Keats in my lathe  ::) Interesting idea using epoxy adhesives  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
Some days off, some progress. I have started with the further preparation of the crank shaft for the soldering.
Unfortunately, my marking in the material stock was wrong, I have expected to have a bar of 10 mm silver steel in stock, but in reality I have had only two bars of 9 mm, and the wholes in the crank webs are already prepared for a 10 mm crank pin. In the picture you can see a dummy from normal steel.
A quick call at my dealer was successful but the German Post (DHL) failed, so I have to wait until, may be Saturday, to get the silver steel.
I have been also lucky, that I have done a sample assembly, which shows me that the crank webs has been a bit to large, so there was a contact between the webs and the sub base.
In this stage it was easy to adapt that. The next pictures are showing the set up for the later soldering operation.
In the meantime I have started already the gear and distributor bracket.
In accordance to the latest version of the S/S Machine & Engineering ignition system some modifications are here necessary, which I have drawn first in the CAD.
Merry Christmas
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
Achim, nice to see you back in the shop and working on the Snow. Nice work on the crankshaft!!

Bill

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
Hi Bill, thanks for the friendly words.
It is Christmas now, but still no snow outside,  perhaps tonight.
There is only the snow engine build inside growing a bit.
I have made a dummy camshaft (a short one only) and a crankshaft dummy to check the gear train.
Also the distributor is already where it should be.
This collet blocks a doing really a nice job, specially if you need two worm screws for the shaft connection.
Finally everything in place and some "dummy" motion.   
[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq5T_PmEtR4[/youtube1]
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal