Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 157747 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
another Snow engine
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
Hello everybody, as already mentioned in an other thread, I have started to build the Snow engine. Due to the availability of stock material in Germany, I have converted some dimensions in metric sizes. In example the piston rod, the crank shaft, the camshaft, all nuts, studs and bolts......
For this it was necessary to do all the drawings new in CAD and to check the fitting with each other part. Specially the situation with metric bolts has to be checked carefully, because at some places is not so much material for dimension changes. The main bore is also slightly modified to 27 mm, because I could get some 27x1,5mm piston rings of the shelve. Due to the piston rod dimension change, it was also necessary to find the right lip seal from FKM (FPM, Viton) for this application, but I have been successful in the Volkswagen, Seat spare part catalog.
It is also my goal, to give this engine a bit more the look from 1900, that will be difficult but lets try.
The first real part I have started with, was the flywheel. I have bought a cheap low quality casting with 240 mm diameter and started my modifications. The result is shown in the following pictures. I will ad the story, how to get there, later.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:08:49 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
I will be watching Achim. It will be interesting to see how you got those square pockets in the rim of the flywheel!

--Tim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
....and now the making of this flywheel. The fixation to the crankshaft is the same as shown in the original drawings, a cone will clamp the wheel and shaft together. After seeing all the pictures of the big Snow engines in the American Museum, I have done the decision, that mainly black for the engine parts and red for the flywheel should be the colors. I have tried to fake the hub a bit, with medium success. The solution with the illusion of the shrink anchors seem to be a bit more successful. And also the 90 rectangle wholes around the rim are O.K. now.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »
Beautiful work the the flywheel Achim.

I will be following along with your build of this interesting engine. I like the fact that you are going to make it look more like the original engine.

Your work is wonderful, and thanks for taking the time to post your progress.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
That's pretty neat Achim!  Like Tim, I was wondering how you made all those square holes in the rim of the flywheel.  Now I see...

So my next question is, how'd you make the big rim rings to go on either side of the square holes?  I'd love to see a picture or two of how you mounted those while you were turning them.

Thanks for sharing your work Achim!  Your flywheel looks beautiful!
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 05:08:28 PM »
Hi Kim, the rings have been to big for my lathe at home. I am able to machine the flywheel and also the rings but there is no chance  to cut them off. So I have "organized" this job at work and sorry there are no pictures available. The final turning operation, with the glued on rings are made than again on my lathe. 
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
Looks good, I will be following along  :popcorn:  :DrinkPint:  I see you like stretching your tools to the limit as much as I do  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 05:23:30 PM »
Hi Kim, the rings have been to big for my lathe at home. I am able to machine the flywheel and also the rings but there is no chance  to cut them off. So I have "organized" this job at work and sorry there are no pictures available. The final turning operation, with the glued on rings are made than again on my lathe.

Makes sense Achim.  Thanks for sharing.  It looks great even if I don't get to see the pictures of them being made! :)
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
Beautiful work Achim...I'm looking forward to more as well.

Bill

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »
Very cool! There isn't much left of the original hub of that flywheel! Out of interest, where did you get the flywheel casting?

Simon

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »
Very cool! There isn't much left of the original hub of that flywheel! Out of interest, where did you get the flywheel casting?

Simon

Hi Simon, it is from Luxembourg.
http://www.rc-machines.com/en/model-engineering/set-of-casting/flying-wheel-cast-iron-o-235-mm
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
Nice start with the flywheel.  Will be following along.

Vince

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
Very nice work Achim, never tought of making the square holes like that! Like the looks and your creativity, looking forward to the next update.

Jeroen

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 05:31:56 AM »
Hi Tim, Dave, Kim, Roger, Bill, Simon, Vince  and Jeroen thanks for looking and all the friendly comments.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:47 PM »
Hi Everybody, I am just planing the size of the bed plate of my Snow engine. Plan is to glue some tiles on the bed plate to get a nice floor. This time I will use 10x10 mm glass tiles in black and white. My experience from an earlier project is, that is difficult to cut them. So I have  made a draft in CAD about the possible grid and will try to adapt all engine foundations to this grid, that no major tile cutting will be necessary. The next task will be to glue the tiles also in accordance to this grid. I (my CNC) have made a jig to get bigger pieces of this small tiles in one pieces. If at the end everything will match together will be the final question, which will be answered in one or more year if I can start the final tiling. But now I know how to get the dimensions for the aluminum plates, which will be the foundation of the engine..

Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal