Author Topic: Forum Maintenance - Midday GMT+1 Wednesday 1st August  (Read 4569 times)

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
Forum Maintenance - Midday GMT+1 Wednesday 1st August
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
Gents (Ladies?),

Tomorrow (Wednesday, 1st August), I will briefly be putting the forum into "maintenance mode" at Midday British Summer Time (GMT+1), to install the sidebar mod. This is a big install, and does many things to the forum software, so I'd like to take a few minutes to get it right; also, if necessary, I can back it out again without losing any posts.

I estimate the total downtime to be no more than 15 minutes if all goes well, and maybe 30 minutes if I have to restore from backup.

Once the forum is back up and running again, the layout may change a few more times until I've got it settled. So, let's say by 3pm, the forum layout should be settled. At this point, if you have any comments to make regarding the sidebar, please use the Suggestion Box.

I also intend to enable the Calendar; this will allow you to create new events - e.g. model exhibitions, modelling club meetings, and so on. I'll leave it to your discretion as to what you post; any sillyness will be frowned upon with a large stick. Events will be announced in a new child board of the Announcements board.

Translated into various timezones (if yours is not here, I use http://www.worldtimeserver.com):

US Pacific: 4:00am
US Eastern: 7:00am
OZ EST: 9:00pm
South Africa: 1:00pm

Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Bogstandard

Re: Forum Maintenance - Midday GMT+1 Wednesday 1st August
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
Ade,

If I recall, I activated the calender on the second day the site was opened, and took off a lot of the unnecessary dates.
Between MY MESSAGES and the MEMBERS button.

John

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:57:47 AM by Bogstandard »

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
Re: Forum Maintenance - Midday GMT+1 Wednesday 1st August
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
Ade,

If I recall, I activated the calender on the second day the site was opened, and took off a lot of the unnecessary dates.
Between MY MESSAGES and the MEMBERS button.

John

So you did John, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks!
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
All done
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
Everyone should now be able to see the sidebar. Members have a couple more options than guests - e.g. access to the quick search function & the shoutbox.

If you don't want to see the sidebar, there's a tiny little "hide" button on the homepage, on the far right hand side of your screen, just above the list of boards (see the attached picture). Click that, and the sidebar will go away. I think, but I am not certain, that it will save your setting so you don't need to click it again on your next visit, but I don't know that for certain. Please, try it out, and let me know.

The sidebar ONLY appears on the main "home" page. If you want to see it on other pages, please let one of  the admins know; if there's enough interest, we can show it on other pages.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:22:50 PM by admin »
Cheers,
Ade
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal