Author Topic: More on testing my engines  (Read 2471 times)

Offline geoff5269

More on testing my engines
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:38:42 PM »
on the Engines I have made recently I have tried to make them as free running as possible sometimes using ball bearings instead on plain and have measured my success by timing how long they would run on one charge of air from my small airbrush compressor, several of them would run on 1psi or less but then I found the looser they are the quicker they use up the air, and some of the air also leaked away pass a slack piston so this plan is flawed. Perhaps I should time them at a steady speed of say 100 rpm.
What I have been playing with to day is I found a way to measure the force of the piston when powered by compressed air, I have this part finished Benson which lends itself to the job. I set it on scales under the pillar drill so when I applied air pressure the con rod pushes up against the chuck an gives a readout. Here are the results with a piston of 12mm.
Psi  Grams of force
2     180
3     280
6     600
9     900
12  1200
as you can see they are quiet linier, here's a pic as well
Geoff

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: More on testing my engines
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
Is'nt the force at the piston be predictable using the piston size and air pressure?

Could you adapt that test to measure the pressure at the flywheel. That might tell you how much work is lost through the entire engine and all the friction points.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: More on testing my engines
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
I can think of two tests that might be useful. One of them requires a flow meter to measure the volume of air lost. Does anyone know of plans for a small flow meter that a hobbyist could build?  :headscratch:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal