Author Topic: Pip-squeak engine build  (Read 31221 times)

Online sco

Re: Pip-squeak engine build
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
Nice work Todd - won't be long before it's a runner!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »
Nice job with the washer Todd and the engine is looking great. The bearing can be loctited if need be, I did that on my engine. .............. :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:

Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
Almost there  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Neat fix with the washer  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2014, 03:38:32 AM »
Finally some time for the shop.   Here's the flywheel which turned out a bit more difficult than I thought.

The flywheel is 2 inch diameter by 3/4 inch thick.   I started by facing both sides in my 3-jaw.  Plenty of room.

I got the metal from onlinemetals and they generously cut it to 1.125, so I decided to part off the excess rather than shave it off with endless passes.  I took this as a bit of a challenge, and it went really well.  I suppose that was because it was so solid.

I center drilled and then drilled to fit the shaft.  I did test fits, but I didn't seem to take any pics of that.  It fit nicely.

Next I started machining it out.  The inside will be beveled and the outside edge will be straight.  I started with this tool, but very quickly found that the pre-made tools were just too big for this.

I tried different cutters, and this one worked fairly well.  Others gave me lots of trouble with chatter.  LOTS of trouble :(   I even ground my own, but just couldn't get it small enough to get in there.  Even this one needed to be raised slightly for cutting near the outer rim, and lowered when cutting near the center.  Blech.

I flipped it around to turn the other side.  For the outer diameter I had taken a very very light pass before I flipped it, and here you can see I took a final pass on this side without moving the dials.  It was close, but not perfect.  Maybe I needed to use the 4-jaw for this to work?  How do you guys do this?  I'll probably make a mandrel to finish it up properly.  Maybe that's the only way?

Here's where I finally stopped.  It isn't as rough as the picture makes it look, but there is a little excess shoulder in there that I should clean up.

Next I needed to drill and tap for a setscrew.  It turned out my mill is just too small for this as you can see in this picture.

I decided to take it over to my woodworking drill press.  Plenty of room there, but it really made me appreciate my mill for this kind of work!

I tapped it with barely enough clearance...

And here it is, finally attached to the engine.  I'll clean it up a little, but I figure it's good enough for testing the engine.

I still can't run the engine like this.  The cylinder head still needs to be bolted down.   That'll be the next post.

Todd

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Almost there Todd. Very much looking forward to seeing the first run.

Bill

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
More progress...in this installment I attach the cylinder head.

For this I got to use my spankin' new rotary table that I bought as a 50th birthday present for myself.  I thought I may as well celebrate going over the hill!  Besides, my wife got to claim she got it for me.  I'm good with that :)   I was originally planning to just measure out the screws, but this was more fun, and fortunate for me, didn't really require much accuracy.  Still, I wanted to try to be as accurate as I could for the practice.

I started by centering the RT using a dead center (it has a MT2 in the middle).  I used a 5/8" collet to center on the point (no photos of this), and it worked pretty good.  I had to tweak it with a DI moving about 10 thousands at most to finish it off.  Someday I need to make a tool specifically for this, and it'll give me an excuse to make a taper on centers in the lathe which is something I've never done.

In this photo I'm centering the cylinder on the RT.  My vise is too high for my mill, so I had to get creative bolting it down.  I maybe could have made the setup rigid enough for heavy milling (so to speak -- I have a X2-style mill), but I'm only drilling/taping holes so I wasn't too worried about that.  I happen to have a "spare" (i.e. too small) piston I made earlier in the project, and that is the bit of brass you see centering the mill onto the cylinder.

Here I used a DI to finish centering.  It was only 5 thou or so off.

I cranked it over 5/16 of an inch for the screws.  I had violated a rule I always use in woodworking -- don't work on a project until you have all the hardware.  These 3-48 "bolts" are pretty cool, but a little bigger than I expected.  I also had some 2-56, but they weren't as well defined.  I ended up dialing it out another 35 thousands to make room, wishing I had turned the cylinder head in a little more than I did :(.

I used a couple drops of superglue to attach the head, then I drilled and tapped.   It came out a little too tight...the hex head rubbed the cylinder head.  Doh!

Here I drilled for the second screw after moving it out another 5 thousandths.  It still didn't quite fit -- note the first bolt isn't seated all the way.  It was better, but still rubbed.  The bolts were getting way too close to the edge, so I decided to make artificial clearance using a 3/16" 2-flute end mill.  That was the smallest end mill I had, and it actually was sized quite well.  Lucky me.

I went all the way around, drilling, tapping, making clearance with the end mill, and installing the bolts as far as I could.  I thought I should install the bolts because I didn't know if the superglue would hold it for the full operation.

The RT was working well -- 15 cranks for 60 degrees.  Easy enough.  I think measuring would have worked fine, too, though.  I would have done the two across the center first, since the cylinder started on center.  Then I'd do the two toward the mill column, and then shift Y and do the two away from the column.  At least that was my plan before procuring the RT.

And here they are, pretty much done.  I used some needle nose pliers to tighten them down further after I took the pic.  I haven't actually separated the head from the cylinder.  I suppose I should, and I should make the cylinder head holes into clearance holes, but for now I'm just leaving it as-is.

Here's the engine *almost* ready to run.   I like the "engine-y" quality the bolts give it.  The squeaker is still missing (the threads on the top).

Time to run this thing, don't you think?

Todd

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »
Todd,
Where did you get the RT if I may ask?

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
Awesome Todd and awaiting the first run.  :cartwheel:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
Here's the first run.  Whoohoo...it took right off, but required ~50 PSI of air to get it to go.  It was very tight.  Note that it's pretty stable, though.  It's sitting on the back of my bench vice and not walking around like my other oscillators would do.

Note that I put a bolt in the squeaker hole.  It actually sounds pretty nice without the squeaker :)
[youtube1]http://youtu.be/K6rZoX-xybE[/youtube1]

I was curious why it "chuffed" so much and noticed the inlet/outlet valve holes are exposed as it runs.  Go figure.  I checked the plans and it seems this is how it is supposed to be.

Todd

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
Bill,

I got the Grizzly H7527 RT.  It's 6 inch and I noticed it was barely taller than the 4 inch, so I figured going smaller wasn't going to solve my mill capacity issue anyway.  I got it on a 10% sale which covered the shipping.

Todd

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »
Here is a longer run after it loosened up.   The bearings were tight, so I put a little simichrome polish in them and spun the shaft with a cordless drill for a bit.  After cleaning up and oiling it ran smooth.   I also inserted a thin washer at each end, but that was only to allow me to pick it up while it's running.  I'll probably take those out again.

Now it's running at much less than 40 PSI of air, but I don't have a gauge to tell me exactly what it is.  It can run a bit slower than in this video...but not much slower.
[youtube1]http://youtu.be/xsESwQvPfBA[/youtube1]

Now to get that squeaker done...

Todd

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
Well done Todd  :praise2:

Sounds good.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
Nicely done Todd and she'll loosen up as you run her in............. :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »
Congrats Todd....looks and sounds great. It should loosen up more with additional running as well.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
Looks good congratulations  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal