Author Topic: Ernst Plank Stirling and Praxinoscope  (Read 2514 times)

fcheslop

Ernst Plank Stirling and Praxinoscope
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
A bit of a long shot to say the least.
Does anyone own one of these as its been a long time dream to own one and I always loose at the auctions
So its time to build one maybe with a modern twist.
The engine is not the main problem but more the actual Praxinoscope and finding some copies of the original prints
The gearing is also a mystery to me What would be an approximate speed for the scope to run at with 12 mirrors :shrug:
Many thanks
frazer

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Ernst Plank Stirling and Praxinoscope
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
That would be a great project frazer!!  It looks like most of it is done with pulleys and not gears which should simplify things a bit.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
Praxiniscopes and Zoescopes (one had a mirror set, the other you looked through slots) were normally turned by hand so I would guess around 30 - 60 rpm max.

My father bought a Praxinoscope from Pollocks Model theatres in London many years ago. They still seem to exist but are currently out of stock.

http://www.pollocks-coventgarden.co.uk/index.php/toys-games/praxinoscope.html

There may still be other suppliers.
Best regards

Roger

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
To work out the speed I would look at some videos of similar models and see how long a full rotation takes, if they have the same number of images. If not, think in terms of "frames per second", or how long you want a full cycle to take.

Simon

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
Who is "Ernst Plank"?  Is he any relation to Max (Ernst) Planck, the Nobel laureate physicist who gave us quantum mechanics?

And why is this person's name associated with Stirling's engine?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Bluechip

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
Marv

Presumably this character:

http://johno.myiglou.com/plank.html

The only reason I sort-of know is my late friend Norman's acquaintance, Des, had one of his [ Plank's ] steam engines plus some Bings and a Carette Stirling.

Dave

fcheslop

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
Thanks Bill, I think it will be a great project and one Iv long wished to own as Iv bid on a few over the years without any luck.They are rather rare and tend to be rather expensive to a pauper like me  :Jester:
Hi Marv, Ernst Plank like Doll made tin plate toys at the turn of the last century and came to a rather sticky end under her Hitler's rule a
Iv no idea who the gent is you refer to being of the under educated class :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for the link Roger Iv also learned that Wilesco recently made some repro praxinoscopes.
cheers
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:03:01 PM by fcheslop »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal