Author Topic: Radial Engine Update  (Read 11928 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: Radial Engine Update
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
Progress is a little slow.  Mid September and temperatures here in Austin are still approaching 100 degrees by mid afternoon.  I have air conditioning in the Shop (garage), but it takes a little while to cool it down and the wife has an annoying habit of coming home and pulling her (very) hot car into the garage.  That pretty much takes the temperature back up to 90+ for another couple of hours. 

So I did some slight modification to the back part of the crankcase and made the valve lifters today. 

Here's some shots with the engine partially assembled.

Gettin' close to the finish line.  Now I get to start worrying about whether or not it's going to run...  :-\

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »
Progress is a little slow.  Mid September and temperatures here in Austin are still approaching 100 degrees by mid afternoon.

Gettin' close to the finish line.  Now I get to start worrying about whether or not it's going to run...  :-\

Chuck
I can relate to the temperature affecting work Chuck, we have the same problem here.
 Now you really don't want me to believe that your worrying whether it runs  or not. Of coarse it's going to run I have all the faith in the world in you bud. Nice work by the way. I like.................... :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: Radial Engine Update - It Runs!
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »
Got the engine running today.  Sure sounds good...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_KnmUZKRFg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_KnmUZKRFg</a>

Still need to do some tuning.  I think it needs stronger inlet valve springs and I may have to make new rocker arms for it.  These don't quite extend over the valve stem as far as I'd like.  I probably also need to tweak the timing.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 02:32:03 AM »
Very nice Chuck! A smooth runner, & yes, great sounding!

John

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 03:06:17 AM »
It really does sound great. I love the classic look. It's bigger than I thought.

--Tim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 06:45:33 AM »
Nice rebuild Chuck, it looks and sounds great!
Thanks for sharing your video with us.
Congratulations on another runner!
Kim

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »
That has a nice "quack" to it! I like it!  :ThumbsUp:

Simon

Online sco

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
Chuck that's brilliant - love it!

Do you think John could be persuaded to do a cad model ;-)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 07:58:22 AM »
 8)

Now I want to go play with my Anzani castings  :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Wonderful result Chuck. I love the sound too!!

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
Very well done Chuck.  I like.  :praise2: :cheers:

Vince

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
Hello Chuck-

Reading through all your threads always teaches me and shows me mechanisms that I would never have conceived.  The latest slave air-valving arrangement that's shown in this thread is a perfect example.

Your comments in reply # 11 has raised a few questions.  I noted that in the last few sentences you speculated that with a little tweaking, and improvement, that you will eventually come up with a slave-valve design to your liking.  Over the years, you have designed and then shared/posted many diagrams of your ingenious air-valve arrangements.  Can you provide any insight as to just which design comes closest to your ideal arrangement?  You have to be pleased with at least one or two of your arrangements, and displeased with others.  I, along with some other modelers, would like to know just why one valving arrangement works "better" than another.  Is it a sealing/leaking problem, spring-tension problems, etc?

Wishful thinking:....I know this is too much to ask, but it would be wonderful, and very informative if you compiled all of the diagrams, your repertoire of slave-valves and component arrangements, in a single thread and critiqued each of your valve designs,  noting the good and bad features of each design.  Your latest version of valving that's shown in this thread, with the one-hole disc interposed between the head and cylinder, looks like it could be adapted to many other compressed-air engine configurations....I think.  I could envision your cylinder assembly, and head/valving set-up, being used to build a number of different Comp-Air engines, e.g. Inline 3/4/6 cylinder "Aero"-style engines, etc.

Once again, many, many, thank-yous for sharing, and for the inspiration.  Your threads never fail to provide new, and valuable information.  Wish a few of my shop teachers were like you, and to this day, still wish you were my neighbor. : ))

Frank
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:26:20 PM by BronxFigs »
90% of everything is BS!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 04:22:51 PM »
Great engine and great video. Love the sound, too. There's something about the sound of radials......

I have stolen borrowed used some of your valve ideas on some air-powered projects (that I haven't posted). I really like your valves and I would second the request to keep the information about them coming.

Thank you with respect,

--ShopShoe

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
You see Chuck I had no doubt. Man, it sound just like a desiel engine, just awesome bud. I like............. :praise2:

Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
Excellent Chuck  :praise2:  :praise2: It sounds so much like an IC engine  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal