Author Topic: The Lowestoft Model Exhibition  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
The Lowestoft Model Exhibition
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:09 PM »
Hi Guys - apologies for the delay in posting a few pics of this event but truth to tell I was completely exhausted after two days on my feet and non stop talking  ::)

It has been quite a few years since my home town of Lowestoft saw a model show of any magnitude but this one topped them all. The host society - the  Halesworth Model Engineering Society put heart and soul into ensuring this was one to be remembered for many a year to come. It featured exhibits of many disciplines of model making not just engineering. No, unfortunately I did not get the time I had hoped to take loads of pics - I was in attendance on our plastic model club's stand on the Saturday and decamped to the Halesworth ME section with the engines etc on the Sunday. Though not a member I had been invited as a guest to display on their stand.[more]

There were some stunning larger scale traction engines in steam outside along with control line flying and model helicopter displays. Inside the modern school the layout went from the concourse called 'The Street' through the centre of the building to various class rooms, the main/sports hall and the theater. Reasonably well attended by the public on the Saturday, Sunday saw a virtual non stop throughput until around 3.30. Closing at four I'm positive that the Halesworth members will be well pleased with the response to their show. For a first attempt they did a truly fantastic job

Here are a few pics of what I did manage to take which will give a flavour of the event if not the full coverage

Our plastic club put on a 32 x 4 ft display - the largest we've done at any event

Behind the guys on of our members put on an 18 x 4 ft display of his scratch built Sci-Fi models. I unfortunately did not get to take any pics nor of our 'paper' modeler Adam who was displaying four of his incredible models - sorry guys  ::).
This is Adam's German Locomotive - some of you may recall the engine - this is is made the same way - with the exception of some differing grades of wire this is entirely made from paper and thin card

There were some impressive scale helicopters along in the main hall with several model aircraft in one of the side rooms

The central 'Street' was given over mainly to model engineering and the odd trade stand

This freelance atmospheric engine was exhibited at the Forncett 'do' but the image was too dark. It has a very scale like motion complete with a very realistic 'creak' as the pump lifts - lovely to watch

One for ole 'Whiskey'

A nice Bentley which has reinforced my thinking that I have to get mine underway again

And one for Jo

This lovely example of the Throp Corliss pre-dates the Southworth versions Jo. A lovely piece of engineering throughout, the valve gear was particularly well done.

and finally a 'couple' from outside

That's it I'm afraid - though they don't go anywhere near conveying the terrific buzz and atmosphere throughout the weekend  'owts better than n'owt in't crisis'  -  hope you enjoy them

I'd just like to say a thank you to the Halesworth club for inviting me to share their tables - I enjoyed every minute of it and am still recovering for what was a very tiring but fantastic time - I owe some emails and a PM - bear with me I'll get there  ;)

Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:04:12 AM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: The Lowestoft Model Exhibitition
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
It certainly looks like it was a fine show Ramon and some lovely models of all types to be sure!!  I was drawn even to the scale helicopters which were amazing...not to take away at all from the model steam and IC engines of course.  Many thanks for taking and sharing the pictures. After such a successful event, I would assume it will become an annual event now.

Bill

Edit:  Whiskey...when you do your Red Wing, promise me your will at least paint the raised letters a contrasting color...like red maybe :)  Somehow it just don't look right with the letters the same color as the engine itself.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: The Lowestoft Model Exhibition
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
Thank you for the pictures Ramon,

There sure was some beautiful hardware on display!

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »
  -  hope you enjoy them

Certainly did.

T? Did you see this stuff? The next time we go over...I'm going to a show.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:39:12 AM »
Hi Ramon, thanks for sharing the pictures. I like the Corliss very  much, a beautiful engine.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Nice  8) I could find a home for that little lathe  ;D

And an Anzani  :Love: based on the Les Chenery castings, not an easy set of castings to work from by all accounts there was very little spare meat on them.

And a "short" version of the Corliss cross compound  :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
Thanks for those Ramon, nice to see a mix of all the different branches of "model making"

J

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »
Some incredible workmanship there ... Thank You for taking the time to take and post the pics.

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal