Author Topic: Stentor  (Read 60192 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: Stentor
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »
Well we've just got home from a truly memorable day out  :D :D :D :D

Great weather, great people and a great occasion  :ThumbsUp:

As Jo says her Stentor proves to be a real good runner so watch out two stroke builders - she has her eye on one or two more (just one or two you understand  :))

These little engines were truly exceptional - still the point of conversation well after you left Jo. Someone made the comment - how big is the jet hole in the spray bar - and more - how was it put in  :o

I had some real good runs on the engines but one - the Elite MK 2 simply refused - I think I had it well flooded but despite efforts to clear it, it was not having it. All the others put in creditable performances though with two of the Etas clocking 9500 revs on an 11 x 5 on only their third run.

It was great to meet up again Jo and Eric, and with all the old aeromodelling friends which of course made for lot's of talking and indeed, even more talking.

Now, well reeking of a certain substance I'm off for a shower and an early night.

Regards - Ramon

PS Jo the capacities were .006cc per cylinder  :o -  the fuel is 70% ether, I think he said 17% transmission fluid and the rest filtered paraffin (kerosene)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:38:49 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »

Now, well reeking of a certain substance I'm off for a shower and an early night.

Regards - Ramon

Reeking Ramon? It's not aftershave, you know.

But 200 cylinders, that's the sign of an exceptionally focused individual. Hugh.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #242 on: September 29, 2014, 07:18:28 AM »
Tug it was great to meet up with you and Sue again  :cheers: The other model aero engine models are a great bunch and Eric's reputation for "bringing me to the show" will keep them talking all winter  :lolb:

- she has her eye on one or two more (just one or two you understand  :))

I only have one two stroke currently in the collection, the Falcon  :embarassed: I might have looked at a couple of Diesels casting sets yesterday at Engine Heaven but the one I was being offered is still readily available (at the same price as it was being offered and in three forms, rather than the one that he had two spares of  :thinking:)  I will check other opportunities first  ;)

And if you could let me have the details of that first tall diesel you were running, I would appreciate it 8)

For now it is swarf time  :whoohoo:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
Jo - If you have the Motor Boys book it's in there however I will bring a copy of the original drawings from the 1946  Model Aircraft magazine (which are excellent) to the Midlands do.

Sue sends her apologies for missing you when you left - she had gone walk-about and saw your car disappear through the gate from the control line area. We both really did have a great time - here's to the next  :cheers:

Hugh - yes I know but I can't resist it  ;)

Now - it's off for another 'fix' - have to clean all those engines down and take a good look as to why that Elite was proving so difficult before getting back on those Ato's

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2014, 09:47:56 AM »
Jo - If you have the Motor Boys book

:o I haven't got that one, I will have to remind my supplier that he promised me a copy :stickpoke:

In the meantime I have been looking in my "Italian" book as you suggested, there are lots of nice Diesels in there  :Love: I will just have to work out how to make the crank cases but if a 16 year old could do it back in the war years I have no excuses.

See you at the Midlands show ;)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
Another little Stentor has come to stay  ;D

This little orphan is an original, with plenty of bounce in her  :cartwheel:

There are a few differences between her and the drawings for making your own  :thinking:

Jo

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
That one looks well used. Is that a piece of spring curtain rod being used as a needle valve extension?
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
She has an amazing compression :ThumbsUp: so she has not been used much.

Is that a piece of spring curtain rod being used as a needle valve extension?

Yes standard bit of net curtain rod used as a flexible extension to the needle valve.

Did I mention she is cute  :embarassed: . I am having to put her in secure box and try not to play with her  :-\ I do wonder what she will sound like....

Jo

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Another little Stentor has come to stay  ;D

This little orphan is an original, with plenty of bounce in her  :cartwheel:

There are a few differences between her and the drawings for making your own  :thinking:

Jo

Nice engine you have there Jo.  :) What would the vintage be? I see it has a spark plug instead of a glow plug, so there must be some sort of ignition system for it? Also in the first picture there is a rod, near the front of the engine,  sticking out to the left. What is that for?

I've had a lot of model airplane engines during my lifetime, but nothing like this one.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks Jim, she is very nice  :embarassed:

I have already had one engine collector asking after her all I did was post a couple of pictures of her :o She also came with her original coil which is getting further interest from said collector.

We believe she is from about 1947. They used these model engines for both aircraft and tethered cars. As this engine has the angled Stack I was told that it is probably for a Tethered car (and she also came with the flywheel for driving a tethered car). The rod at the front (behind that very interesting prop driver) is for adjusting the ignition timing  ;)

I have relented and agreed my Supplier can come over on Sunday to check her out to inform me how far I am allowed to play with her. It would be nice to have both Stentors running at the Guildford show at the beginning of July.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2017, 05:53:34 PM »
So up date on the Stentor..... We think that this is a brand new original engine  :o

It even has the original asbestos cylinder head gasket, so I have been told I am  not allowed to take it apart.  To make sure I don't do anything I shouldn't  ::) it has been "borrowed" so it can go to Old Warden next month so that some of the other engine collectors can have a fondle...

Jo

Offline Merlin

« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »
I have followed this thread with great interest, I have a MK1 and a MK2 Stentor 6 in my collection.

Are the castings and drawings still available, as i would like to make one.

Thanks.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »
If you contact Muddle Engineer http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1452 he has the patterns.

Be warned the Foundry is getting greedy  >:(

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2017, 07:05:23 PM »
Are they getting greedy or is the raw material going up, looks like iron ore costs rose 50% since Oct 2016, could be the same issue with teh Alluminium castings too.

EDIT 20% increase in Ali costs

Offline Merlin

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »
If you contact Muddle Engineer http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1452 he has the patterns.

Be warned the Foundry is getting greedy  >:(

Jo

Thanks for the reply, will ask "E"  next time I speak to him.

Found this, nice advert, looks like bright nickel plating on exhaust.

M

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal