Author Topic: Mill advice please  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Mill advice please
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
Workshop reactivation is now on a firmer footing, with a probable target date of the end of the year. As already mentioned, my existing lathe (Myford "4" precision" - dismantled, packed away and probably badly corroded) is probably not usable, although I might consider converting it into a sort of horizontal mill and grinder (because I have a cunning plan for making a cheap-ish toolpost grinder - more anon). I have sourced a decent lathe, and will probably be looking for a replacement for the mill I sold due to lack of space when we got married.

I wouldn't rule out a big- ish pre-owned machine if it came up, but I haven't seen anything suitable for less than larcenous money so at the moment I'm looking at potentially buying a new one. Now I think for the sort of thing I'll be doing something the size of a Seig X2 or X3 bench-top unit would fill the bill, but I know that it takes quite a lot of effort to make a decent mill from one of these so I wondered if people could suggest what alternatives are available in the UK. AFAICS the Axminster and Clarke are just rebadged Seigs. I was looking at the Warco XM14 which, although possibly a bit small, has the advantage of the tilting head and also has a main dealer less than an hour from me - does anyone have any experience of them? What others could I be looking at?

All advice appreciated.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Mill advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
Apart from adjusting the spindle bearing preload on arrival I did nothing else to my X3 so don't rule them out. Had it since 2006 and apart from the odd adjustment to the gibs and one set of brushes it has not needed anything mechanical though I have added a DRO.

J

Arbalest

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »
Unless you can find something small and British most folks regard the X3 quite highly for a Far East mill.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
I have the milling head of one of these on my Hobbymat. It's made in the Czech Republic and does not seem to suffer the wobble and droop that Jo's does.

https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/EnterShop/tabid/268/CategoryID/125/List/1/Level/a/productid/1254/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost+DESC%2cProductNumber

or

http://www.tecoznojmo.cz/english/vf400.php
Best regards

Roger

Offline mikemill

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
Allen
I agree with others opinion on the X3 I have the CNC version, where the X3 scores well is the column, a large rectangular casting that gives great rigidity to the mill, also it is very tall for a small mill giving lots of working height. The other small mill worth considering is the Centec 2A or B version (look at the Lathes site for details) with a raising block and vertical head makes a relatively low cost mill, again a solid machine.
Stay away from anything with a round column as they all flex under load.
Good hunting

Mike

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:48:39 PM »
My thought on the C3 is that it's not as keenly priced as the other seig products - what are peoples' thoughts on the X2plus?

AS

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »
Size matters  :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »
My thought on the C3 is that it's not as keenly priced as the other seig products - what are peoples' thoughts on the X2plus?

AS

I have an SX2 now collecting dust due to getting a Wabeco - did some good work with it but the Z-axis needed a lot of work to be usable and I could never get the Y-axis gibs adjusted satisfactorily.
Best two things about it were that as supplied it was in reasonable tram and the motor has plenty of torque.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »
Sounds like a second hand alternative  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
Yep if somebody else wanted to have a play with it they would be welcome to come and try it out.
Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
PM sent!

AS

Offline stirlinglad

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »
I bought an sx2 at the start of the year,, worst thing i,ve done so far,,as I don't have the necessary experience to make it into a good machine ..I should have bought a hoover instead as they're even better at collecting dust,, which is all the sx2 is doing,,,I'll never buy another Chinese machine tool...I got it to learn how to machine castings on but now i'm considering getting rid of everything as owning that mill has drained all the fun out of the hobby for me. Now most days i don't even open the workshop as i don't want reminded of the boo boo i made buying the thing.. :facepalm2: Including tooling and belt conversion I must have wasted something heading towards  £1000 ...
But If I lived in England it would'nt have been so much of a problem as I'd have been more likely to find someone nearby who could have helped me  fix it.. So if you've got the skills or the support then i would'nt totally rule it out as others on here seem to have transformed them into machines capable of producing really nice things... but my Wyvern and Centuar castings seem destined to stay in their boxes.. oops Sorry,,, i'm a bit of topic,,, i'll shut up now :-[

...Mike... :-\

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:29:27 PM »
Mike, dont give up so quickly. Many guys have had great luck with these machines, Why not post some of your problems here and see if we cant get you past them.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »
. but my Wyvern and Centuar castings seem destined to stay in their boxes.. oops Sorry,,, i'm a bit of topic,,, i'll shut up now :-[

When both these engines designs were published it was not expected that the maker would have a mill......

Go for it

Rod
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:14:00 AM by tangler »

fcheslop

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »
Going to stick my head above the parapet.
I have owned an RF25 since 1984 and although its that infernal round coulomb type machine .I find adequate for my humble needs .
Is it super accurate NO but good enough for me
Is it super rigid NO but again adequate for me
What has gone wrong NOTHING
What has been replaced 2 sets of quill bearing and the feed nuts.
This machine has been severely abused/used and is now getting to the stage that its totally worn out .The gib adjusters are now fully wound in and have been altered in the past to allow for more adjustment
Would I buy another YES
Just my two peneth
cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal