Author Topic: 1/5 scale Chevelle  (Read 72650 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: 1/5 scale Chevelle
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2016, 08:05:29 PM »
Well i found myself with a day off from work so i made a pair of rear shocks. They are basically just like an RC shock except all brass instead of plastic. I couldn't find springs close enough to size so I wound a pair to the OD and length I needed. They were assembled and soldered together. I modeled them after the adjustable coil over drag racing shocks.

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2016, 09:45:09 PM »
More incredible work Steve!  So nice to see each new update.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2016, 11:38:23 PM »
Great looking shock absorbers! Do the pistons fit close enough to actually give some dampening action?

:popcorn:

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »
Steve,
Wow, this is great work! You are the man.
Mosey

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »
Great looking shock absorbers! Do the pistons fit close enough to actually give some dampening action?

:popcorn:

Even with the .001 fit they do not dampen at all nor do rc shocks. They will need to be oil filled to have any dampening.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2016, 12:32:49 AM »
Bubba, absolutely shocking work :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

toolznthings

« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
Amazing as always !!  :ThumbsUp:

Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2016, 02:52:18 AM »
Steve,
Good to see all the work on the Chevelle. Those shock's look like the one's on the back of my R90S. I'm with everyone on the cnc bit. I for one am very quick to admit that my skills in math or as a machinist don't extend to the type of work George B. does. If I had to build my stuff on a manual setup I would be doing much simpler stuff. It is a different thought process to do the same job. I use Geomagic and Sprutcam and as I discovered on my Val head you have to poke around to find a way to get it to do something the way I think it should.
I'd settle for some small block tire smoke, for my 2 cent's worth. :lolb:
Art

"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »
Hi Steve,     I'm just catching up on this incredible project, and I'm totally hooked.  Amazing work.   Thanks for all the detailed build pics.                 Regards               Terry :praise2:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »
Steve awesome results bud and you know ......I..........like............ :Love:

Don

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I'll be back to it soon. Trying to make foot peg mount brackets for a 56 Triumph TR5/R. My pal is restoring one and only 103 bikes were made so parts are non-existent.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2016, 08:15:48 PM »
A little update on the car.

I couldn't make heads or tails of the gears as far as the exact placements of the cuts with the custom cutters. I fully understand the article and what is supposed to happen but the numbers didn't seem to work so i freakin winded it. I patched as much of the article together with the 3D cad and drew up the gears and eyeballed the shape of the teeth and did my own thing. After a few hours of adding a little here and taking off a little there I had a set of gears that were ready to "test". My pal was going to print the gears in ABS and pass them off to me to try. Couple days before I was ready his printer died. I really needed them printed on a "good" printer with good resolution. So I searched the web and found a place that could print ABS. Come to find out the set in ABS on a really good printer costs about 75 bucks plus shipping. After further snooping on the website i found they could 3D print in steel so I had to see what that would cost. 42 bucks in steel plus shipping so guess what I did. Well they are not that bad other than a bit of a rough finish but I figure I could run them in with a little diamond paste. They don't take kindly to drilling and threading. My mounting holes were printed into the part .005 under and I had to drill to size. Drill bit got hot real fast but it worked. Tap is still pissed at me but it did take a thread. Obviously not as nice as machined gears but cheap in my opinion. I still have an interference issue that I think some button head screws will clear up but other than that everything fit as planned.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #222 on: July 16, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Steve,
42 dollars for laser sintering in steel sounds like a mighty cost effective work around. Good thinking Batman

Good luck with the bedding in process. If both the ring gear and pinion are that hard, the diamond paste should grind and not get embedded into the steel.

Can you shim the position of the pinion and adjust it 'in' as the bedding-in progresses

Mike
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 08:58:17 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #223 on: July 16, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »
Steve,
I must say that differential looks fantastic!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2016, 11:43:14 PM »
Steve,
42 dollars for laser sintering in steel sounds like a mighty cost effective work around. Good thinking Batman

Good luck with the bedding in process. If both the ring gear and pinion are that hard, the diamond paste should grind and not get embedded into the steel.

Can you shim the position of the pinion and adjust it 'in' as the bedding-in progresses

Mike

Thanks Art!

Mike, the gears run pretty well together now. I will use the compound to "polish" the mating surfaces to get that nice smooth feel of machined gears. I was shocked how well the work as is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal