Author Topic: 1/5 scale Chevelle  (Read 72307 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My photo website
Re: 1/5 scale Chevelle
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
That jig is a great idea, consider that one filed away for future reference, thanks.

Now to settle in for the ride.
Tim
Measure with a Micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe. MI0TME

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »
The fixture looks great Steve. What will you be using for the tubing & how will the tubes be joined?

John

I'm going to use brass tubing. Brass tube is strong for it's weight. It also resists bending. I will need to anneal the pieces that will get bent and they will most likely work harden when I bend them. The joints will be soldered.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »
The fixture plate is ready.

I had a 9th inning design change. The 1/4 inch plate was as flat as glass but I didn't know if it would stay that way through out the build so I added 2 rails. They are one inch hollow tubing that were rescued from the trash.

I ordered some stock to make the uprights so I hope to be going at it by the middle of next week.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
Yet another interesting build  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be following along  :popcorn:  :DrinkPint:
Best regards

Roger

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
Good morning!

I have finished all the blocks and rollers for the bending plate. The risers for the fixture are also completed and installed. I purchased .031 wall tubing instead of .014 wall tubing. The thicker wall seems to bend better and look better when finished. Doesn't seem to collapse in the bend as bad. The tubing was listed as "unbendable" in the catalog. I tried to bend a piece about 8 inches long by hand and it really wants to stay straight. The tubing was heated in the proper spot to a red hot and then left to cool. It bent real easy and the bender worked real nice. I made some test pieces. I also made up a pair of small blocks that when paired have a 5/16 hole thru them to hold the tubing so the ends can be profiled with the correct radius. The tubing can be soldered with a nice butt joint after dressing the ends. I will get serious about making tubing early next week. Maybe have something soldered up to show you by next weekend.

I also ordered the tires from Bishop Racing Products. Bishop supplies tires to the RC drag racing community. They will be as close to the correct scale size as I could hope for. When they hit the door I can finalize the width of the rearend. Also the wheels can be finalized and have that part ready for when I get bored.

Cheers!

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
Man Steve this is going to be a cool build. I need to get going on my engine they have been setting over the summer.
This is looking good.
 NICE!

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
Steve, That's going to be really cool. Have you come up with a transmission idea? How about a powerglide looking case with a centrifugal clutch inside, maybe 4000RPM stall. That should fly!!!!! I'm tuned in and anxiously watching.
                                                                                      Gary
"Effort equals Results"

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
Man Steve this is going to be a cool build. I need to get going on my engine they have been setting over the summer.
This is looking good.
 NICE!

Thanks Doc!

The V8 with the blower has been sitting a few summers. Thats why I want to get it going.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 08:26:57 PM »
Steve, That's going to be really cool. Have you come up with a transmission idea? How about a powerglide looking case with a centrifugal clutch inside, maybe 4000RPM stall. That should fly!!!!! I'm tuned in and anxiously watching.
                                                                                      Gary

Hello Gary!

I was going to look into a lenko style trans but that is miles down the road. There are also 3 speed automatics in RC cars so i was thinking about trying to figure out how they work and adapt or build one.

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:14 PM »
I do not know how the model 3 speed automatic transmissions work, but I do know how Husquarna made theirs on their MotoX bikes and that is simple.

An automatic clutch like model cars, drive the input shaft and all the gears stay in position - they are not moved like a convectional box. All the gears on the output shaft are mounted on one-way bearings. First gear in just a cog on the one-way bearing, second and higher gears are in fact centrifugal clutches with harder and harder springs - so when the rpm is high enough on the output shaft the second gear clutch engages and it now drives the output shaft (first gear now freewheels on the one-way bearing). When the rpm of the output shaft rises far enough and the even stiffer springs of the third gear clutch are overcome, the clutch of third engages and now both first and second gear freewheels on their one-way bearings.

I have attached the repair manual for the transmission.

Best wishes

Per

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:15 PM »
Thanks for posting that Admiral. I don't know if i can find clutch bearings that small but it's worth a shot.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 04:03:23 AM »
Steve,
I hate to be the last one to join the parade, but managed to miss the previous posts. Sounds like a cool project.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline lakc

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »
I was going to look into a lenko style trans but that is miles down the road. There are also 3 speed automatics in RC cars so i was thinking about trying to figure out how they work and adapt or build one.

Steal the planetary gearset out of an old air ratchet and you got the hard part of a thm400 all done
Jeff

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
Well I finally got a start today. Got all the previously made parts soldered together. I also made the rear frame rails and soldered them in. I considered those pieces the hardest of the project. It took a few hours to get them bent, massaged in so the lay over the stands perfectly level, and trimmed to length so they could be soldered in. The only thing in the photos that is not attached are the long back bars. I have to figure out how i'm going to hold the long pieces at wild angles so I can mill the half moons into them so they will mate up for solder.

Anyhow, heres where im at.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
Steve,
I hate to be the last one to join the parade
Art

Last one in, first in our hearts!!

Hows it going Art!  Will I see you in Zanesville in a few months?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal