Author Topic: 1/5 scale Chevelle  (Read 72301 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: 1/5 scale Chevelle
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »
Hi Steve a good start for an impressive project. Looking at your fixture for chassis/frame making l am missing the jigs for the important brackets like rear upper damper fixation. Are they still under construction ? I see all the jigs to guide the tubes, but no jigs for the main suspension or engine mounting points.

rear upper damper fixation?  Are we talking about shock absorbers? If so that is worked out. If not you lost me.

Front suspension is a simple bracket to attach rods with heim joints. Motor mounts and trans mount will be done when I figure out what to do about the trans.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
Yes Steve, I have had shock absorber in my mind. It is really a long time ago, when I have welded my last tubular frame for a real race car, but I remember very well, that I have first made all the fixtures for the suspension pick up points and engine and gearbox fixation. Later than some jigs for special tube guiding. But I am only remembering here some good old times. I am sure you will show us here an excellent piece of  craft manship in the near future. I will following along.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
Yes Steve, I have had shock absorber in my mind. It is really a long time ago, when I have welded my last tubular frame for a real race car, but I remember very well, that I have first made all the fixtures for the suspension pick up points and engine and gearbox fixation. Later than some jigs for special tube guiding. But I am only remembering here some good old times. I am sure you will show us here an excellent piece of  craft manship in the near future. I will following along.

I figured it would be easier to just make the parts and install them than draw them. I should have no trouble after the framework is done dropping a few plumb bobs and picking up the points. The center of spindle is on the drawings as well as the center of rear axle.

Rear Shock mounting are ready to go.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »
My Friend Ryan suggested we check out this site for tires and wheels.....take a look.

how big a tire is that?

http://www.davesmotors.com/fg-06418-06-slick-tire-inserts-rear-m1-80mm-1_6.html

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »
Steve glad to see you on another great project. That should be an awesome built and I will be following along. I have a question about the Mini Bike and I must of some how missed the completion. This is the last I seen of it http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=1069.msg32715#msg32715
Has it been finished completely? I would be grateful just to see a photo of it.

Don

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 12:54:48 AM »
Steve glad to see you on another great project. That should be an awesome built and I will be following along. I have a question about the Mini Bike and I must of some how missed the completion. This is the last I seen of it http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=1069.msg32715#msg32715
Has it been finished completely? I would be grateful just to see a photo of it.

Don

Mini is not done. I had to take a step back and see what I have going on. I have about 5 projects going right now. I just stopped and made a list of what I want to do and what order I want to do it. I guess you could say I had to re-focus. The blower motor is the highest on the list (right now) so here we go. I also checked out the Conley motors in cars at the Glenn Reid auction and just loved them. Cant afford to buy one so I will have to build one. They went from 8 to 20 thousand. So it's the V8 right now in a Chassis with some big fat slicks!

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »
My Friend Ryan suggested we check out this site for tires and wheels.....take a look.

how big a tire is that?

http://www.davesmotors.com/fg-06418-06-slick-tire-inserts-rear-m1-80mm-1_6.html

Dave

Hello Dave!

88mm is only about 3-1/2 inches tall. Im looking for about 6 to 6-1/2 tall and 3-1/2 to 4 inches wide. I dropped an email to a guy who makes custom tires for the 1/5th and 1/4 scale racers. Might be costly but worth it if it's exactly what im looking for. I'll keep you posted.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 02:09:45 AM »
Couldn't tell if that was the tire OD or the Wheel OD.....Glad you have a lead though!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »
Model Engineer Mag recently had about a 3 part article on how to make moulds and cast your own rubber tyres if you want to try the DIY route.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:33:13 PM by Jasonb »

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
Model Engineer Mag recently had about a 3 part article on how to make moulds and cast your own rubber tyres if you want to try the DIY route.
do you have the link to that article Jason?

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
Its in Magazine Numbers 4468, 4469 and 4471

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »

Got a start on the project today. I decided to make a bending plate to bend tubing. It will take longer but I like the fact that when I make a pair of something the two pieces will match perfectly. The plate has a million holes in it. Depending on what piece is getting bent, the rollers and blocks are placed accordingly. The first block and roller are placed onto the plate and the tubing is bent around the first roller until it is in a position where it just slots into the next roller. Then the next roller and block are placed and the tube is bent again. There are 4 major parts that need to be perfect so it will be worth the extra effort.

Here we go!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 09:04:55 PM »
YEAH!!

The time spent making the jig results in a shortcut. Nice work.

Mosey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 10:16:27 PM »
Oh I'm definitely settling in for this build!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 05:42:29 AM »
The fixture looks great Steve. What will you be using for the tubing & how will the tubes be joined?

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal