Author Topic: Miniture steam engine.  (Read 2865 times)

Offline mackye

Miniture steam engine.
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
hi all,  this was a little side project i decided to do in a single weekend. ive been working on a much larger project, a horizontal boiler (ill be starting a topic thread in the boiler section about it) and as is often the case for these larger projects progress and a finished working model can seem forever away, especially when you're only able to work in it for limited amounts of time on weekends... anyway, this little engine came about as both a need for satisfying my urge to see something finished and also an exercise to practise some techniques ill be needing, namely silver soldering, for the larger boiler.

the design ending up being very much an on the fly type of deal, id figured out the basic dimensions for the engine, just the crank throw, the boiler was made the size it is simply because that was the size of the piece of copper id scrounged from a work site at some point in the past :P, but as for the rest that was simply down to what tools and materials i had on hand when i got up to my old mans place and back into my workshop.

im surprised by how smooth of a runner it is, i seem to have without realising it at the time balanced it fairly well, however i dont have a video just yet as i only have singer oil on hand and i discovered first hand that it is by no means an ideal lubricant for a cylinder under steam. my next step is to figure out a mounting and heat source/shield, most likely just a simple alcohol burner, but all in all for a weekends work im absolutely stocked with how it came out and even happier with how it runs!   :D

kye.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Miniture steam engine.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »
Nice job on that kye. I hope you will be able to post a video of it running too.  That's a fair bit of work too for just a weekend :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal