Author Topic: 1/2-scale Essex Caloric Engine  (Read 4701 times)

Offline littlelocos

1/2-scale Essex Caloric Engine
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »
Hello All,
I thought the group would enjoy a pic of my recently-completed prototype - a 1/2-scale replica of an Essex Caloric Engine (Stirling cycle). This is one of the projects I purchased from the Paul Jacobs family last Fall.  It has been refined, completely redrawn, and (hopefully) will be re-released later this year.

I need to set this one aside for a few months to work on another engine promised for someone. The first two are of the finished engine. The third are the resin-cast production patterns almost ready to mount on the matchplates for casting in brass and aluminum.

Enjoy,
Todd.

Littlelocos Model Engineering.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: 1/2-scale Essex Caloric Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »
That's a cutie!

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:56 AM »
Interesting little engine  8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »
Did I see that motor on the Stirling Engine Forum a few weeks/months back, it took awe while to see how it works.
     An interesting machine.                   Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »
That's a nice little engine  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline hpme

• Central Kansas, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Todd,

Glad to see you guy's are back in business. How about doing a build thread on the Essex and the Parsell and Weed engine.  :stickpoke:
Good luck!

Daryl
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:30:53 PM by Jo »

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  The Essex has been a real learning experience, especially regarding fits and finishes.  These are much different than the IC engines I have done previously.  While it was mostly-complete at the Cabin Fever Expo, it wasn't until June that it was actually running on its own.  Since then, I have added a propane burner and changed the furnace cap so it doesn't "poison" the displacer cylinder with extra heat.

Here's the video of its first run.
Enjoy.

[youtube1]http://youtu.be/r6w6J1oKxkA[/youtube1]

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:57 PM »
Hello Ian,
I had posted it over at HMEM and on Smokstak, but not the Stirlingengineforum.  Was there another post there on an Essex?  These are neat engines (and deceptively simple).
Todd.

Did I see that motor on the Stirling Engine Forum a few weeks/months back, it took awe while to see how it works.
     An interesting machine.                   Ian S C

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:34:46 AM »
Hello Daryl,
A build-log for the P&W would be fun.  For the Essex, it would be after-the-fact, but I could post it in phases or ??  I checked this evening and I've got 600+ photos to choose from for the project manual, so pulling some for a log shouldn't be a problem.  Let me know if that sounds like a plan.
Thanks,
Todd.

Todd,

Glad to see you guy's are back in business. How about doing a build thread on the Essex and the Parsell and Weed engine.  :stickpoke:
Good luck!

Daryl

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »
Todd, had a look in the SE Forum there is one reference to the Essex engine, it shows the patent diagram, and mentions a kit available, and myford boys web site, it's about half way down page one May 29 2014.
I thought there was another thread, I may be wrong, had a quick(how quick can you be on dial up)look through six pages.                Ian S C

Offline hpme

• Central Kansas, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
Todd,
I think most of us are interested in seeing pictures of any build, especially an engine that some are not familiar with.
I started to scale the horizontal Parsell and Weed many years ago at half scale, with the idea of making commercial castings. Unfortunately life got in the way...
Still like the engine and would be interested in a set of casting when you have them ready.
Daryl

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:11 AM »
Todd, I put Essex, and Myford boy in Google, there's plenty there, then I put Essex hot air engine in, and got a whole lot more, seems they are not that uncommon in USA, seemed to be used to drive shop window displays.

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 03:53:52 AM »
Hello Ian,
I'm familiar with Myfordboy's kits and his Youtube videos of their construction.  There were apparently no less than 5 or 6 versions of this little engine.  Mine was modeled by Paul Jacobs who apparently took measurements from a gentleman I met only briefly at NAMES this Spring.  Unfortunately, I didn't get his name while I was there.
Todd.

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 03:56:55 AM »
Hello Daryl,
The P&W is indeed a very curious engine and has proven to be a fun project.  I'm happy to post "progress" on the little Essex as time allows (and pass on what I have learned along the way).
Todd.

Todd,
I think most of us are interested in seeing pictures of any build, especially an engine that some are not familiar with.
I started to scale the horizontal Parsell and Weed many years ago at half scale, with the idea of making commercial castings. Unfortunately life got in the way...
Still like the engine and would be interested in a set of casting when you have them ready.
Daryl

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal