Author Topic: Rider Ericsson hot cap question  (Read 2324 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Rider Ericsson hot cap question
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »
After silver soldering the hot cap bottom, there is a tiny area that is not sealed. Looking inside and putting a flashlight on the outside shows an area about 1/16" unsoldered. I cleaned it up refluxed and resoldered. The end cap is so thin (.06) that it moves away from the joint far enough in that one spot that solder isn't working.
I was considering High Heat JB weld (rated at 500 F.) to seal it but not sure what the temperature would be from the burner. Any other suggestions?
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Rider Ericsson hot cap question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Stan,
I don't think the JB Weld I a good idea for that area as the burner heat will exceed 500 degrees F. Not sure I understand what is happening though, how is the end cap moving away? I am assuming the rest of the perimeter is still soldered. 

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks Bill
I wasn't sure how hot it got. Yes, the rest of the perimeter is soldered but when I applied heat, the unsoldered area moves away. The movement is almost imperceptible but enough to prevent capillary action to draw the solder into the joint.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
Hmmmm... you might try putting a small piece of solder on the inside corner and flux just the gap and then heat from the outside and see if it will flow into the gap, If the inner surfaces of the side and end pieces aren't fluxed, then the solder has to go somewhere and with the help of gravity I am hoping it will flow into the fluxed gap enough to seal it off. Just a thought.

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
I'll try that. Going to clean it again and then proceed. I'm also thinking about clamping over the end cap. Hoping that the pressure will push it down as the solder flows.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
Thank you Mr. Lindsey! That worked. No leaks. Just one character-building experience after another with this engine. The fun never ends.
Now I can start the displacer piston.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
Glad that worked Mr. Shire :)  You are right, it is a character building engine what with having to adjust all the sloppy clearances, etc, but that is also what makes it a desirable model to me...if it was easy everybody would have one right? Just keep plugging, you are doing a fine job!!

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
I just wish Clarence would update the plans. i.e. The drawings show the displacer piston at 1.75 OD and I know that was changed to 1.85" a while back. Don't even get me started on the inconsistencies for tap drill and clearance hole sizes.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal