Author Topic: Question re: Side Valve Engines  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Question re: Side Valve Engines
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 08:33:49 PM »
Maybe I wasn't clear in what I asked you. When you run that engine with a prop on it as it appears in your video, there would be a lot of air flowing across it to cool it. If you ran it WITHOUT the prop on it, I am assuming it would overheat very fast. Have you ran it for any periods of time without the prop.  I am going to assume that it is like the Nemett Lynx and Bobcat---Great as an air cooled engine when ran with a prop, but if ran without a prop would probably need to either have the cylinder water cooled or have an auxiliary fan mounted blowing over the fins as I did on my recent build.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »
Brian,

I've never run it without a prop - I would expect it overheat.  The finning on the cylinder is rudimentary and there is no finning on the cylinder head.  If you have a look at the engines that are made for model helicopters or cars you can see some of the arrangements that are made for enclosed engines but all this is beyond my ken.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »
Addendum:  It's never really occured to me before but it would be straightforward to convert the design to an OHV with pushrods and a new head.  It would be interesting to test the power difference....

Thinking that one through you could also replace the gears with a toothed belt and sprockets (or put some intermediate idler gears in there) and make SOHC and DOHC configurations as well. Or even a Cross rotary valve (belt drive or with idler gears). Or if you really wanted to be different the same basic layout could be given bevel gears and a vertical shaft to drive either a vertical rotary valve or an Aspen valve. In fact I think the only configuration that would be difficult would be a sleeve valve.

Have you considered an opposed-piston variant?  :LittleDevil:

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal