Author Topic: Is there a name for this device?  (Read 4817 times)

Offline philjoe5

Is there a name for this device?
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:28:21 PM »
Playing around in the shop between major projects I decided to make one of these:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQjW3mfouI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZQjW3mfouI</a>

Is there a specific name for this device?  I copied a picture of something like this a long time ago but I can't remember the source.  I'm powering this with a Ray HasBrouck #3 mill engine.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Is there a name for this device?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
Nice Phil and it looks like the jockey pulley system I have on my UPT.

DON

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
iv seen something very similar used to power a vertical head on and old horizontal milling machine.  I call it a 90 degree belt drive but no idea on the 'official' name   :shrug:
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
Starrett 46734A
Sharpie Indicator Mark Rotator
Best,
Stan

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »
Google "Corvair cooling fan system" and you will see it. All General Motors Corvairs had that fan belt system.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
Don
I think that's where I first saw it, on a model of a UPT

Bertie
So it was actually used as a drive system on a machine tool?  Was it "V" belt drive?

Stan,
The Starrett model seems to be out of stock, but the Sharpie Indicator Mark Rotator is available from Amazon :Jester:

Brian,
That's an interesting drive system in the Corvair cooling system.  I wonder if it was reliable? 

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
it was on an advert on ebay I think, seen a few other like it too. consists of a basic vertical head/spindle mounted on the end of the ram with the power being taken from the original horizontal arbour up and over a pair of idlers like yours then driving the spindle.  id saved the idea in my head in case I ever got hold of and older horizontal mill. seemed a reasonable solution to me, I think they were v belts but I cant be 100% sure
suffolk - uk

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:55:25 PM by Bertie_Bassett »
suffolk - uk

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 09:33:59 PM »
Thanks Bertie, excellent references.  Seems like it wasn't all that uncommon to use this system in machine tools

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
Philjoe---It was horrible on a car. They used a special V-belt to run around all the pulleys, and it broke often and was fairly expensive to replace. I had a 1962 Corvair in about 1969.---Brian

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
Just a right angle belt drive to me. They were common in drilling type tools in the old days with the overhead belts, they needed a right angle turn to drive such things as a drilling shaft.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal