Author Topic: ER collets  (Read 8299 times)

Offline JMcRae

Re: ER collets
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
Spindex is for the mill  ;D

Arbalest

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
Spinindexer is not much use in a lathe though.

He didn't say he was going to use it in the Lathe, he just said he wanted to buy one!  :facepalm:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
Opening statement "I need to buy a collet system for my lathe"  was what I was going by

One thing to watch with the spin indexers is that not all will take the ER collets, I think its only ARC that do them with the adaptor, this looks the same and is cheaper but only takes 5C

http://www.mscdirect.co.uk/IFX-25204A/SEARCH:KEYWORD/product.html
J
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:16:02 AM by Jasonb »

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »
I just mentioned the spin index because if I am buying a collet system that I may want to use it for the mill as well, I am torn though I like the idea of mounting on the face plate and just make an adaptor to suit then I wouldn't have to cut the bar stock down to fit, but on the other had I don't know how acurate it would be having two registers to line up, I did find a MT5 to ER32 and 40 treaded for a draw bar, china product $20  :-\. An other opption is to make my own.

Arbalest

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
Yeah, may as well plan to use stuff on both machines if you can. Having said that, some time after I bought my ER32 Lathe chuck I bought an MT3 ER32 holder for the mill as well and have never used it.  :-[ The Arc spinindexer has come in useful though as I don't have a Rotary table yet.

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »
Arbalest I have a 6" and 4" rotary table and the 6" has an mt2 in the center so if I got one to fit in the rotary table I could use it in the lathe with an adpter.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:39:00 PM by JMcRae »

Offline AOG

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »
I have a set of ER-32 collets that I use in my lathe all the time.  The thing that I haven't found here in the US is a set of collet blocks for ER-32. They sure would make life easier for putting flats on round stock and milling hex heads. Has anyone seen a set for ER-32 ?

Tony

Arbalest

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
Yes, collet blocks are very handy Tony, surprised they're not available over there.

I have a 5C block set and a 5C to ER32 adaptor so I can use 5C or ER32 collets in each block!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
ARC do blocks for various size ER collets, no need for a closer on the other end so you can stand them upright too.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Fixtures

J

Arbalest

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
It's worth mentioning that ball bearing collet nuts are worth the money in my opinion, they make closing the collets very much easier.  :cheers:

Tony, Just found these 5C collet block sets on MSC:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09670159

If you can't get the 5C ER32 adaptor over there then you could always order one from Arceurotrade, they ship to the US.

You don't need to use the quick lever closer on these, you can use the supplied locking rings instead so you can mount them vertically in your mill vice if you need to.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:21:45 PM by Arbalest »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
Rod and Arbalest,

The advantage is that you can pass bar through the chuck.

Thanks for the heads up on this collet chuck.  I have found a US supplier, Little Machine Shop that offers them for the C4 Sieg lathe.  I'm looking at this lathe for purchase and this collet chuck just might seal the deal

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline AOG

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »
I bought my sc4 (and collet chuck) from LMS and I have been happy with both the equipment and the supplier. You could do worse then buying from them.

Tony

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 07:50:27 AM »
Not sure, but I think the ER collet blocks are exclusive to ArcEuro. 

Cheers Dek. :old:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 08:01:50 AM »
You don't need to use the quick lever closer on these, you can use the supplied locking rings instead so you can mount them vertically in your mill vice if you need to.  ;)

When using the locking ring and with the block held say vertically in a vice is it possible to undo the 5C collet without removing the block? If you are working on multiple parts then that would be a bit of a pain making sure it went back in exactly the same place each time. The ER version can be undone from the working end so you don't loose the setup.

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 08:16:53 AM »
When using the locking ring and with the block held say vertically in a vice is it possible to undo the 5C collet without removing the block?

Yes you use a tommy bar in the hole in the lock nut  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal