Author Topic: ER collets  (Read 8422 times)

Offline JMcRae

ER collets
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »
I need to buy a collet system for my lathe, grizzly has three makes of er collects. Any input would be appreciated

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: ER collets
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:37:55 AM »
I use  the similar ones to the first pic but as its a MT make sure you get a drawbar version as the MT can come loose while machining due to side forces
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Thor

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:43:22 AM »
I use ER collets - both ER-16 and ER-32 - both with MT 3 shanks. They work well. The ER-16 chuck has a smaller diameter and gives better access in cramped locations, the ER-32 can take end mills up to 20mm dia. I bought the chucks from a different source than the collets and experienced no problems.

Thor

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:00:57 AM »
Hi John, I have read now very often, that some of the model makers on your side of the pound are not so happy with the mentioned supplier. May be this could be an option http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront .
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »
As you are going to use your collets on the lathe, I recommend that you use collet chuck that fits on the nose rather than in the taper, like these: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Lathe-Collet-Chucks

The advantage is that you can pass bar through the chuck.

HTH

Rod

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:24:35 AM »
The ones in your last photo are definately not ER Collets, they differ slightly so will not fit in any other type of ER holders you may want to buy in teh future. The other two are also not described as ER so worth checking them too

As Rod says the flange or screw on chucks are better as you want it for lathe use
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:27:37 AM by Jasonb »

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Your right Jason I didn't catch that. thanks for the help guys

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
My approach was to buy a complete set of er32's then to buy adaptors/mt holders for EVERYTHING, 2 lathes head and tail stocks, rotary table, mill etc, never found a need for anything else in the way of collets (btw you can get ER32 collets down to 1mm if you look around but not everybody sells the smallest.

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
Thanks kev I have a mt5 spindle so I will have to use an adapter, I didn't know you could get ER32 that small

Arbalest

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
As you are going to use your collets on the lathe, I recommend that you use collet chuck that fits on the nose rather than in the taper, like these: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Lathe-Collet-Chucks

The advantage is that you can pass bar through the chuck.

HTH

Rod

Agreed, I have one of those for my Lathe and a MT3 version for the mill.

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
It doesn't look like they have one for my size lathe 6" chuck

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »
what type of chuck mounting do you have, it should be possible to fit to a suitable backplate

Or if its only for lathe use then think about a 5C chuck

Offline JMcRae

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 04:54:43 PM »
Jasonb it's a craftex CT089 13x24 lathe the flange is part of the spindle 6.25" with MT5 and 3 mounting bolts for the chuck. I thought of useing a 5c collet holder as well. correct me if I am wrong but aren't the ER collects more flexable in the range of size of stock they will hold compaired to the 5C? I do want to get a spindex as well so maybe 5C is a better way to go and maybe buy a straight shank ER collect holder for the tiny parts. I have also thought of holding a straight shank ER holder in the 4jaw.

Arbalest

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:51:10 PM »
Yes, ER Collets generally have a greater range due to them being slit from both ends. You can get a Spindexer that takes both ER32 and 5C collets.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Fixtures

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »
Spinindexer is not much use in a lathe though. You can get a 5C to ER32 holder which allows you to use ER32 collets in the 5C so saves having to change chucks.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/5C-Fixtures#5C-to-ER32-Collet-Adaptor-2

5C are limited to their nominal size less a few thou so you would need full sets and them maybe not be able to hold odd sizes. ER will allow upto 1mm adjustment

You could make a thickish backplate say 1" that tapered from the 6.25" flange dia down to the 5" dia of the ER chuck which would be a reasonably neat way to mount it.

J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal