Author Topic: Tool post dial indicator holder and extra chuck key  (Read 3234 times)

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
Tool post dial indicator holder and extra chuck key
« on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
(I hope I'm posting this to the right board)
I'm still VERY new to this and have a couple little projects done, but took it on myself to make some new tools as useful practice work.   I wanted to play with steel a bit, rather than aluminum, and wanted a bit more drilling, tapping, etc, practice.   Someone, somewhere (sorry, can't recall), on the board suggested a dial indicator holder and an extra small chuck key are nice to have for setting up a 4-jaw.

So here they are attached.  It occurred to me *after* (of course) that my compound happened to be parallel to the ways, so I didn't think about allowing the dial indicator holder to rotate with the tool post.  Doh!  I might need to rethink that.  But I did want to make a little "platform" that could be used for holding other stuff, whatever that might be.  You can see I already tapped extra holes for attaching "stuff."  (and more practice)

The new chuck key is sitting on the compound slide.  It turned out pretty spiffy.  I made it extra small to fit on the back side of my tiny lathe.  It won't work for every situation, but hopefully will work good for the case of adjusting a pair of jaws simultaneously.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Re: Tool post dial indicator holder and extra chuck key
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:15 PM »
Very nice!
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »
Something I wrote may be the source of your inspiration.  [And here I thought my only utility was to serve as a bad example.]

Good job on both items.  If you want to get some more practice on simple-to-make tooling, here's an attachment for your DI holder that will make centering polygonal stock simpler...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,303.new.html#new
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
Both of those should prove quite useful Todd. I also need to make a second chuck key for my 4 jaw. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Bill

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »
Todd
This may help with the four jaw now you have a indicator on centre hight

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjQfnXuhEE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjQfnXuhEE</a>

Watch it a couple of times it really does work it's not me in the vid but you can true up a four jaw in one rev.

Basically find the low set the dial to zero rotate by hand the chuck forwards you find the high note the reading , divide it in half , rotate the chuck backwards until the indicator reads that new reading and reset it to zero , now only turn the chuck forwards and use your two keys to tighten the front jaw to read zero, forwards to the next jaw and repeat , the vid will make it clear

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »
Nicely done Todd  :)

IMHO making up one's own small tooling accessories is a great way to get some machining experience. 

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Marv,

I believe you are right.  I should have spent some effort to give credit where credit is due!   I can't help you with credit for bad examples, but perhaps someone else can :).

I really like your design.  Someday down the road, probably not far, I need to try that.  I'm sure I'll still find use for this thingy even if I don't mount a DI to it.  Other tool suggestions for beginners are welcome.  Maybe I'll need to spend a few hours digging as I'm sure they are posted here and there.

My next project is to properly align my tailstock.  Geez...I haven't even turned anything on centers yet, so I've got a long way to go.  But I figure I'd go there next.  I've already done quite a bit tuning of both lathe and mill.  I figure I'd better keep at it between "real" projects.  Otherwise, I'll start spending big money on castings and build a series of low-quality engines instead.   That's my thinking, anyway.    Turns out building tools is rather fun, too.  Go figure.

Offline tinglett

• Rochester, MN, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 02:05:03 AM »
Stuart,

Dang that technique from the youtube video is nice!   Thanks for the pointer and thanks to Jim Harvey for making and posting the video in the first place.

It took me a couple tries, but mainly that was getting my act together.  My rear splash guard is mighty close with my 5" 4-jaw chuck.  It's only a 7x12 lathe so maybe I should have been a bit less optimistic and gone for a 4" when I bought the chuck.   I'll have to rework the splash guard at some point.   The other thing was tightening my DI so it wouldn't slip as I rotated the rod I was centering.  The rod was a little rusty even though I scrubbed it a bit, so it had more drag than I thought.  Marv's setup would have avoided that.  I need to get a dedicated DI for this thing, and once I do that I can tighten it up better.

But wow!  So easy.  And you only need to tighten.  Less thinking sure helps :)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:34:04 AM »
Todd

That's what this forum is about helping others if not directly but by providing a pointer,link to information

Glad it helped

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal