Author Topic: New Workshop  (Read 14350 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
Re: New Workshop
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 03:33:41 AM »
Firstly, all my planning for workshop has come to nought as we were gazumped on the villa we thought we were buying.
Secondly, we are now buying a villa two doors up the street from the first one and the workshop possibilities are much better in that it has a bedroom with walk in wardrobe directly behind the garage.
Thirdly, the shop will be a bit larger than the first one with storage space where the wardrobe was.
Fourthly, there will be much less work and cost to convert it to a workshop. The modifications will be readily reversible should it be required to be returned to a bedroom if future owners require it. We still have 3 bedrooms anyway.
Fifthly, all the work can be done prior to us moving in.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 11:47:57 PM »
After an extremely traumatic time we have finally settled on our Villa and now fully own it. The carpenter will make the new opening in the wall between the garage and what will be my store room (ex ward robe). this weekend and a week later we will move the lathe and mill etc. down. When I pulled up some of the carpet I found that there is a plywood covering over the concrete floor and I am wondering what to coat this with. Any ideas? It has been firmly fastened down with concrete nails.
Robert

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
Assuming you don't want to lift the plywood, Masonite and vinyl over the top?

The plywood is possibly held down with a combination of the nails and a construction adhesive, removing all that may be a large and messy job, with no certainty as to what you're going to be left with. Still, a concrete floor is good for placing level sensitive machines on.

Best of luck, looks a good space. Hugh.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »
Do you know my cousin, Gavin Bryant, in Terrigal? Could be a very small world!
Best regards

Roger

Arbalest

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
Plywood over concrete will be kinder to your feet, you can always drill through to the concrete for machine mounting if you need to. I've got a ply floor in my new workshop, I've just given it a few coats of floor paint.

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 06:09:34 AM »
The new workshop is coming along fine with most of the shelving put up. I have left some wall space for my two charts of drill sizes and tapping charts. However my old charts are looking decidedly tired and the move did them no good at all so I am thinking of replacing them with new ones and I will have them laminated.
My original ones were given to me by industrial suppliers (I was the engineering manager at the time) but now unsure just where to obtain new ones.
I am sure you guys out there can point me in the right direction.
Robert

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »
Google is your friend.  I typed in "Starrett drill size chart" and was led to this page...

https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DOC-2791

where you can download a PDF of the chart.

Do a bit more searching and you can probably find other charts as well.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 01:12:56 AM »
Two months have passed by with much work accomplished on our new home and in particular my workshop. It is now swarf making ready, but will await for the New Year to continue with the boiler build.
I pondered at length as to which way to locate the lathe and mill, the first obvious place for the lathe was on the right so as to give maximum room to the left to accommodate long items through the chuck. However that would mean the mill by the glass door and as it protrudes further forward than the lathe (somewhat restricting access through the door) I decided to have the lathe on the left, there is still 500mm behind the headstock to the wall. It is the opposite way around from where I had it in the previous work shop and at first looked strange but I am sure it will work just fine. I noted the comments regarding shelving over the lathe, but being stubborn I still put one there, however the front edging timber strip is raised 10mm above the shelf to prevent anything rolling off.
The bench by the window works well with plenty of natural light. The original bedroom walk in ward robe now serves as my store room and the entry into the work shop from the garage.
The timber floor is great as it is easy on the feet and will provide insulation in the winter when the temperature gets right down to as low as 8 centigrade outside.
I decided to give my drill/tapping charts a clean-up and had them laminated and they look good on the wall now.
Roger, I haven't come across your cousin Gavin yet, but I think there are around 11,000 residents here so maybe some clues could help.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 01:18:39 AM »
Most impressive Robert and well organized as well from the looks of things. It must be nice having that much room for your "man cave!!"  All it need now is some swarf come Jan 1 :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 02:25:30 AM »
Oh man! That is a well organized shop. Very nice place Robert I just wish mine was that well organized. I guess I need to get off my duff and do something about it.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Don

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
Well done  :ThumbsUp: Like the cobra too!

Regards Jeroen

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »
Very Nice. Thanks for sharing your thought processes while planning.

--ShopShoe

Offline Tater

• East Village, New York City
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
Very nice!  All that bright open space......  More like a man palace than a man cave. :-)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
I think it looks great Robert.  It looks like you've made great use of the natural light and that's the best light  :ThumbsUp:..Is that a true and honest Cobra? Big or small block? If you haven't seen my Cyclone thread,  my blood runs deep big block Ford blue.  I thought you would like the timber floor.  I was on a new construction job years ago for Anaconda Aluminum and their whole machine shop was built on 8x8" oak timbers and it was finished like a hardwood floor and then they came in and soaked it with some kind of oil , prettiest darn floor you could imagine and you could spill anything on it and just wipe it up with a rag.

Eric

Offline SHOPGUY

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
A very nice shop.
Lots of natural light and room.
Ernie J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal