Author Topic: Single-disk Kimble engine  (Read 4462 times)

Offline wdeputy

Single-disk Kimble engine
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:35:53 AM »
This is my slightly modified Kimble engine- fresh from the erecting shop.  This was built with only one crank disk rather than the two in the plans.  If anyone's interested, I'll post a video next weekend.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:04:44 AM by wdeputy »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Single-disk Kimble engine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
That's a fine looking engine and yes I would love to see a video. For future reference, please keep in mind that a maximum picture resolution of 800 x 600 is plenty large enough for the forum and downloads much faster for our members with slower connections. Since the forum software now crops the image to fit on a single page, there is no advantage to the larger formats or sizes anyway. As to the engine, was it built from castings or bar stock? Nicely done either way!!

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:54:28 AM »
Oh heck yeah, I would be interested in some how you done it dialog and pictures to back it all up. What drawing set did you srect this beauty from.? I like the the matte green on the engine as well.

BC1
Jim

Offline wdeputy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:37 AM »
Oh heck yeah, I would be interested in some how you done it dialog and pictures to back it all up. What drawing set did you srect this beauty from.? I like the the matte green on the engine as well.

BC1
Jim
Jim,
The original plans are by Elmer Verburg and came from the John-Tom site (http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html).  One page of the plans was missing and I have to thank Arnold very much for providing the dimensions for me that were lacking.  The paint is Floquil.  That company was bought by Testors and the line has been discontinued so I will never buy from Testors again.

That's a fine looking engine and yes I would love to see a video. For future reference, please keep in mind that a maximum picture resolution of 800 x 600 is plenty large enough for the forum and downloads much faster for our members with slower connections. Since the forum software now crops the image to fit on a single page, there is no advantage to the larger formats or sizes anyway. As to the engine, was it built from castings or bar stock? Nicely done either way!!

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the information.  I just grabbed the image from the HD without thinking.  Guess I do lots of stuff that way.  The entire engine is bar stock, no castings.  The top portion of the main unit was made of eight pieces soldered together.

Thanks for the interest.
Walt

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:14:55 AM »
That's an interesting design, using an oscillating vane instead of a standard piston and cylinder. I found a PDF of the plans, but the pictures are not very clear:
http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/20_Kimble.pdf

It's be nice if you could show some images of the parts inside the engine.

Also, you can go back and edit the photos that you have posted to reduced size, and there are ways to show them full-size if you use a separate image hosting site such as www.tinypic.com, or you can use the URL of the images uploaded to the site (but it's a little tricky.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
That's a nice engine,  I have not seen one of those before. Would like to see more about it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline NJFishRGuy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »
Wow, that is a beautiful job!

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: Well done Walt !

I knew you were busy on this one, but didn't know you had it finished.  Great job and re-interpretation on the plans  :praise2:

They do seem to run better with only one crank.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline wdeputy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
There is a short video available.  Didn't use the "good" equipment but you should be able to get the idea of how it runs.
About half way through the video, I put my fingers above the exhaust pipes- you can hear how it barks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noHo6-eNKnk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noHo6-eNKnk</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
Thanks for  posting the video Walt. It runs as good as it looks!!

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
That's a nice looking engine and an interesting design  :praise2:  :praise2: .  I wonder what advantages the design offers over a conventional round piston?
Best regards

Roger

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 10:52:37 PM »
Very interesting engine and I love the paint job. Very nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal