Author Topic: .90 cu in, 30,000 RPM, 7.2 HP custom built nitro engine  (Read 129581 times)

Offline lohring

Re: .90 cu in, 30,000 RPM, 7.2 HP custom built nitro engine
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2019, 04:30:29 PM »
I don't understand what's going on in the last two pictures.  Also, we never needed turn fins on cats.  However, David Preuse thought that a turn fin improved the cornering on the XTR-21 tunnels we made.  No others ran it.

Lohring Miller

Offline strictlybusiness1

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2019, 06:44:13 PM »
I don't understand what's going on in the last two pictures.  Also, we never needed turn fins on cats.  However, David Preuse thought that a turn fin improved the cornering on the XTR-21 tunnels we made.  No others ran it.

Lohring Miller

The last two photos show the .020" thick cardboard drawing material used to make templates for cutting the .078" thick carbon fiber bulkheads. This became necessary to get a close fit for the bulkheads which are not exactly the same inside the hull. I posted photos of the right & left side. I don't know if a turn fin is needed for positive turning of a cat, but I intend to find out.

Jim Allen
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:47:32 PM by strictlybusiness1 »

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
This is how I build the die set that will be used to disassemble & assemble three piece crankshafts. It will give an accuracy of total runout from end to end of + or - .0005". Final trueing of the crankshaft will be done in a four jaw chuck to a total runout of  + or - .0001". I true the crankshaft to this tolerance because it is mounted between 4 bearings, two on each side. Alignment of the four bearings is checked with a precision ground hardened shaft shown in the first photo.

Jim Allen

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #393 on: May 28, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »
These photos show what the adjustable weight system looks like after the front & rear bulkheads have been glued in place with JB Weld Quick. This system will also lower the CG of the hull because the weights are sitting in the lowest part of the hull. With a hull weight of 4.5 lbs., I can't wait to test this thing out!

Jim Allen

Offline lohring

« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
Adjustable weights!  I was never that fancy.  Sometimes when the water got really rough I would tape a wrench or two under the engine.  On monos a length of radio box tape on the bottom of the rudder also helps hold the bow down.  These days I usually play more with prop and rudder angles on heat race boats.  Ultimate speed trials do need a more sophisticated touch, though.  The boat looks really nice and I understand what the pictures I questioned show.

My die set only uses two posts.  Even though they are larger in diameter than yours, I don't get as good accuracy.  The crankshafts always need a little truing.  I got a true two cylinder crankshaft, though.  I just need to build the rest of the flat engine around it.  The ultimate would be a turbocharged 30+ cc twin with maybe 40 hp.  Don't hold your breath waiting, though.

Lohring Miller

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2019, 05:13:44 PM »
I have built several die sets with various plate thicknesses, pin diameters & pin spacings. The two most important holes in the die set, that hold the two crankshaft halfs, were held to very tight tolerances & alignment. Holding the crankshaft alignment tolerance of the three pieces involved to an amount of less than .0005" becomes very difficult; maybe impossible. Consider that it is critical that the two holes in the crankshaft halfs "MUST" be in alignment to one another & to the crankshaft itself. Without this, alignment will be "IMPOSSIBLE", no matter how good the die set is. I have four crankshafts, out of maybe six or seven, that pass the crankpin hole alignment test.

I'm very sure that the tolerances required in a smaller size engine become much more difficult to produce. This is especially true in a crankcase that has four bearings for the crankshaft. I also believe that the 12 mm (.4724") crankshaft diameter is to small for the HP & RPM that a 27 cc engine runs at. This comes from many years of building 15 cc engines that had a 15 mm (.5906") crankshaft diameter.

Jim Allen
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:14:10 AM by strictlybusiness1 »

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #396 on: June 05, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Lohring,

The simple adjustable weight system shown was added to an AC Slayer 49" Mono which uses a 35 cc Zenoah & a Performance Unlimited tuned pipe. The hull could not be balanced to the designed balance point, 17.5" from the transom, after adding the 3 " diameter, 11 degree baffle tuned pipe & muffler. This was after moving the engine, radio box, fuel supply, etc., as far forward as possible. By placing the newly designed weight cavity 16.5" forward of the designed balance point, a single 4 ounce brass weight balanced the hull. The cavity, made from a 2.000" ID X 3.350" deep tin can, which is epoxied in place, could hold three .750" thick weights with a maximum OD of 1.760". These removable weights are sitting on the same size .625" carbon fiber rod used on the cat's weight system. This rod is threaded into a glued in PVC base plate with a 58/11 nylon thread, & it is removable. The machined PVC cap is located on the ID of the .625" OD carbon rod & the ID of the tin can cavity. Radio box tape is used to seal the machined PVC cap.

We will be testing the system this Friday & Saturday, 6/8 & 6/9, 2019 at the Suffolk, Va site.

Jim Allen
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:34:31 PM by strictlybusiness1 »

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #397 on: June 06, 2019, 03:32:58 AM »
I decided that clamping the weights was much better than using a set screw to hold them in position. However, this process was much more time consuming. Notice the wider slot cut opposite the clamping screw side which has a thinner slot. Doing this makes the brass piece flexible & therefore it is easily clamped to its carbon fiber tube.

JA

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #398 on: June 13, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »
The adjustable weight system is now complete with the addition of a 5/8-11 nylon bolt, a 5/8-11 nylon nut & a hard 1/8" thick rubber retaining washer. Finger tightening of the 5/8-11 nylon nut against the hard rubber washer, locks the carbon fiber rod mounted between the two bulkheads, securely in place. A few more pieces & I can get back to the engine work.

Jim Allen

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #399 on: June 21, 2019, 01:53:54 AM »
Another key part of the cat has been completed. I'm posting photos of the machined steel strut which is used on the cat. The strut's design will allow the propeller to be moved 1.250" forward of most standard units. The machined strut bushing is made from B-10 Bearium material. It is removable from the strut housing & it remains with the cable, prop shaft assembly when removed. Precision machined slots locate the upper 1/8" thick upper section & the 5/64" thick skeg. Both pieces are machined to a full wedge before silver soldering. The strut can be easily set at various angles with 1*, 2* or 3* wedges placed behind the one piece strut mount.

Jim Allen

Offline lohring

« Reply #400 on: June 21, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
I continue to be impressed by your machining skills.  I only make things that can't be machined by someone else and purchased with my credit card.  That's going to be an impressive cat.

Lohring Miller 

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #401 on: June 22, 2019, 05:27:09 AM »
Thanks Lohring. I have no idea how much time has been spent making fixtures & jigs to enable the machining of a simple part such as a strut assembly. Look at the fixture required to cut an angle on the leading edge of the strut body & the skeg. I use steel black to prevent the steel strut from rusting. By redesigning the strut & its mounting bracket, it will be possible to change the thrust angle at the lake.

Jim Allen

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
The fact that the rudder servo shaft does not line up with the rudder arm shaft does not prevent a very solid connection between the two shafts. The custom machined 90* angle block shown not only allows a solid connection between the two shafts, but it also allows both shafts to be adjusted in length individually. Notice the four flat machined areas on both 5/32" piano wire shafts which engage the four 8-32 locking set screws.

Jim Allen

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »
I finally completed the entire watertight radio box. One more large project (radio controlled trim tabs) before returning to completing the engine building. I will use a AISI S-7 machined (hardened & tempered) 55 mm connecting rod with a machined (full hard) 350 Maraging Steel (double roller window-16 rollers) retainer, a #4032 aluminum machined piston with a machined cast iron single ring running in a hard chromed bore steel bore. It looks like things are coming together to complete this project before the end of summer.

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2019, 12:30:49 AM »
I was unable to find a decent throttle arm that would fit the butterfly shaft properly. The pieces shown fit tightly & are securely locked in place with one 2-56 SHCS. I do not like using my valuable time to design & machine pieces such as this! I have begun to set up the tooling for the radio controlled trim tabs. My radio can be programed to have them operate automatically any time I use the rudder or they can operate independently. Either way, both tabs will go down the same amount at the same time. The black angled shims (3 deg) will set the trim tabs to the same angle as the sponson bottoms. They also set the correct depth for trim tabs from the sponson bottoms. I probably will make a new drill jig which will be clamped to the base plate as shown in the photos.

Jim Allen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal