Author Topic: One liners  (Read 7005 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
One liners
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
This style of electrical grounding clamps make good lathe dogs.  All you need to do is add a short driver rod to fit against the chuck jaw.

One of those small adjustable Dremel chucks fitted to a length of tube with a spinner makes a neat little pin vise.

A small magnifying lens mounted to your prick punch will make marking out a bit easier.  Use a bit of heavy copper wire as the mount to allow for fine tuning the focus.

A sawed-off toothbrush head held to the carriage with a magnet will keep the lead screw free of swarf.

A tea ball makes a great constrainer for cleaning small parts in solvent.

Fitting your fishtail gage with a tiny V-block will make holding it square to the workpiece much easier.

Liquid electrical "tape" applied to tweezer ends will make them tacky and prevent small parts going "sproing".

Soft, self-adhesive foam weather stripping applied at the edge of the workbench will make a forearm-friendly fence to prevent small parts rolling off.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
Re: One liners
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:41:08 AM »
Thank you Marv.  Those are great.

Regards,
Rudy

Bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
Marv,

You never cease to amaze me with all these little tips you are coming up with. :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

I am sure that every member will find at least a couple of those tips very welcome in their shops.

John

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:31 AM »
Love the magnifying glass on the prick punch, that's great.

Steve

Offline KB

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »

Oh man, that's good stuff.

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
Cool stuff indeed.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
bugga more stuff to try :) Thanks again Marv
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
OK, there seems to be a market for these tips so here are a few more.  These are so simple a photo is not required.

You know those little, thin red tubes that come with spray cans?  You stick them in the nozzle and get a directed stream instead of a wide, wet-everything spray.  Well, they're very handy if you can find it when you need it.  When I buy a can I take a plastic soda straw, fold the end over to close it and tape it to the side of the can.  Drop the spray tube in there and you can just pick it out when you need it.

If you take something apart and retain the small parts in a rectangular dish the parts can sneak into the corners of the dish when you reach in to retrieve them.  You'll notice that the bottoms of  many soda cans have a deep concave depression.  Cut the bottom from the can, turn it over and voila, a small dish without corners.  Parts slide out easily.  Don't throw the butchered can away.  Cut the top off and save the remaining cylinder for shim stock and to cushion stuff in the lathe chucks.  Also, these impromptu dishes make nice disposable paint mixing palettes for small jobs.

Styrofoam has many uses in the shop but cutting it neatly with a knife can produce less than optimum results.  An electric carving knife works well but, if you don't want to risk divorce, use your bandsaw.  Bandsaws also work well for cutting intricate patterns from corrugated cardboard.  The blade applies negligible downward pressure so the material is cut without crushing it in the process.

A retired-from-kitchen-duty cookie sheet placed under the lathe bed will make cleaning a lot easier.  Just pull it out and dump the swarf into the trash.

Don't throw your old mouse pads away.  If you have a flat top headstock cut one to fit there.  I keep one on my workbench top to serve as the landing place for the micrometer and calipers.  That way, if I'm less than gentle laying them down their landing will be cushioned.  I'm sure you'll be able to think of other uses.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
Thanks Marv, :cheers:

I have a couple of fridge egg holders (that came with fridges) that were not used so I now use them in the workshop to keep small bits and pieces in.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ironman123

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 07:21:16 PM »
 :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :whoohoo: Marv, you come up with some pretty good ideas and lots of cool items for the shop.

Keep them coming.  We can use some more. :cheers:

Thanks Marv

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Arbalest

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
Some really good stuff there Marv, thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal