Author Topic: "The Engineer" archive  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
"The Engineer" archive
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
I stumbled upon this site while looking for a birthday present for SWMBO (honest!). It contains PDF archive copies of “The Engineer” journal from 1856 to 1960 – there’s some interesting nuggets hidden in there (well “interesting” if you are a saddo like me).

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: "The Engineer" archive
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
That is an absolutely stunning collection. Extremely well indexed as well, not just a pile of pdf's.

Thank you for posting the link.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:56:49 PM »
That's some interesting reading. It's truly amazing how much was known that long ago.

I bumped into something similar recently, called Everyday Engineering Magazine on Google Books. There are technical articles and even plans for steam and IC engines. http://books.google.com/books?id=m00iAQAAMAAJ&dq=everyday+engineering+magazine&source=gbs_navlinks_s This link is for volumes 4-6. It's an 800+ page, 144MB PDF download, but you can read page by page in the browser as well. A few other volumes are available.

Greg

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
Allen, Greg,
Good stuff.  Thanks for the links.

I like the advert on p.55 in Everyday Engineering Magazine on how to "Swear Off Tobacco" on p. 53.  Even back then

Cheers,
Phil

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal