Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this old engine  (Read 3810 times)

Online Twizseven

Does anyone recognize this old engine
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
Hi there,

Jo suggested I post this on MEM to see whether the combined experience and knowledge could give me an answer.

Does anyone recognise this engine.  I was built by a young man who would have been my uncle had he lived long enough.  He unfortunately died aged 17 in around 1940 in a motorcycle accident.  I still in fact have his early Myford ML2/3 lathe.

I think in the photos you can see the filler for the fuel tank has been squashed against the carburetor.  The engine is primarily aluminium, ally flywheel with steel insert for the camshaft.  Neat carburettor with rotating sleeve to act as a choke.  The timing can be adjusted by means of releasing the lock screw just behind the flywheel and rotating the complete points assembly. An external battery and coil would be required.  Low tension connector sticks up vertically behind the points backplate.  It might be nice one day to try and start this engine.  Its been in my possession since 1986.

Look forward to seeing any answers.

Thanks,

Colin

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Does anyone recognize this old engine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »
Flywheel and starting pully groove suggest it may have been for a tether car rather than aero use but thats about as much use as I can be.

J

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Re: Does anyone recognize this old engine
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
I would be searching the 1930s  popular mechanics mags Google books has then on line.
Tin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal