Author Topic: 5C collet indexer  (Read 4896 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
5C collet indexer
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
I made a generalization of the ubiquitous 5C collet blocks.  The picture below shows it in its assembled state.

Shown below are the two main components of the device. On the right is the collet chuck which is shaped exactly as one would shape a 5C chuck internally. On the left is the clamp that holds the chuck. It is split and fitted with a SHCS to lock the chuck in place when required. (When the clamp is used in the mill vise the clamping action of the vise closes the clamp and the screw is not required.) The clamp is fitted with a small brass finger stop that allows it to be accurately re-positioned in the mill vise.

The chuck has a dead flat bottom so it will sit vertically in the mill vise. When this flat base is aligned with the clamp base, the 24 indexing holes are just above the top of the clamp and precision pins in the chuck can be used against a pin fixed in the clamp to effect the indexing action.

These pictures show the draw-nut used to tighten the collet and the spanner used to tighten the draw-nut. When the nut is fully tightened on the collet in use it's completely hidden up inside the recess turned in the base of the chuck. This is done so the chuck can sit flat when used vertically.

Since the draw-nut is hidden when tightened, a special spanner is needed to reach up into the recess to tighten/loosen the nut. The one shown will do that. It has holes for tommy bars to provide the torque to activate the nut.

This strange cylindrical spanner shape accommodates the situation where the collet is used horizontally on a long piece of stock that projects out of the back of the collet. The spanner is slipped over the projecting stock, its "teeth" engage the slots in the nut, and the tommy bars activate the nut.

This is one of my most useful tools.  You'll never believe how many small dividing jobs can be done with it.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 5C collet indexer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
Now that is sweet Marv.  I really want a set of collet blocks for my 3C's also, but being somewhat rare, I haven't found one yet..   This is what I'll build instead!   In so doing I'll make another holder for 5C.   

Thanks!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
The clamp block is also used for my miniature faceplate/indexer detailed here...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,367.0.html
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Some very nice thought out bits of kit you've shown their

:ThumbsUp:

Marv
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 05:09:02 PM »
Thanks again for this very useful way of simple indexing.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal