Author Topic: custom tool bit grinding fixture  (Read 3803 times)

Offline strictlybusiness1

• ME., Tool Maker
custom tool bit grinding fixture
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »
This original design fixture can grind compound angles on any lathe tool size from .1875" to .5000". The adapters on the left in the photo allow round shank tool bits to be ground also. The scales on both hubs are marked in 1* increments.

Jim Allen

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
Re: custom tool bit grinding fixture
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
Hello Jim,

That is an interesting bit of kit.  Could you provide a little more info on it.

Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »
Hello Jim,

I use the tool on my surface grinder to grind tool bits such as left & right hand single point threading tools, left & right hand boring bars, left & right hand lathe bits with any clearance angles desired, etc. I hope this answers your question.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:34:06 AM »
Are the angles really that critical? I can understand that single point threading tools may need to have a fairly accurate 60 degree angle, but clearances might be just as well done by visual approximation.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
Hello Jim,

I use the tool on my surface grinder to grind tool bits such as left & right hand single point threading tools, left & right hand boring bars, left & right hand lathe bits with any clearance angles desired, etc. I hope this answers your question.

Thanks Jim, it makes more sense to me now you have described your grinder.  I need to make something to suit my 5" grinder that I can do single point threading tools with.  At the moment I just grind by hand and used a fishtail gauge to get the angles right.

Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

• ME., Tool Maker
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:25:00 AM »
Hello Jim,

Thanks Jim, it makes more sense to me now you have described your grinder.  I need to make something to suit my 5" grinder that I can do single point threading tools with.  At the moment I just grind by hand and used a fishtail gauge to get the angles right.

I frequently use the gauge also. It works very well when holding the tool up to the light.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal