Author Topic: Flathead V-8  (Read 170815 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Flathead V-8
« Reply #420 on: August 06, 2015, 12:57:43 AM »
Thanks for the additional pictures and description of the process. I love my little torch, but as you say, its only good for appropriate sized parts. Nothing like it though when the job fits. Still watching and admiring!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #421 on: August 06, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »
Need Gobsmacked emoticon......I'm lost for words at the moment................

Beautiful George.....Next time you and crew are around, I'm buying!....just sayin.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #422 on: August 06, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
Peter,
As promised here's the last answer to your questions. This is the tubing bender. It's a simplified version but I only needed it to bend 3/8ths tubing. The smaller bender I drew up will do up to 5/16ths.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline petertha

« Reply #423 on: August 06, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
Thanks so much for the background info & tubing bender drawing, George.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #424 on: August 15, 2015, 02:37:03 AM »
The other header pipe is finished! You know on a certain project there's a job that on the outside it doesn't seem like it's all that hard to do but when you get into it there are little things that irritate the heck out of you. I think the headers were one of those jobs. First of all working with stainless then second trying to hold all those pieces in alignment while silver soldering all the while knowing that once heat is applied and things begin to melt all kinds of nasty things can happen which will generally ruin the whole job and therefore it will have to be started over. Luckily the worst that happened was a little warping on one pipe. There was a slight gradual misalignment of the pipes to flanges but that won't hurt a thing.
The final part on the top of the engine is the fuel pump. While not really there for pumping fuel it with the generator and starter are there to add a touch of realism to the engine.
As much as I like to whittle away at aluminum I just couldn't bring myself to create the fuel pump in that manner so I made a bunch of individual parts and screwed them together. The main body of the pump has the flange screwed to it. The pump part has the inlet tube and ribs that hold the wires for the sediment bowl screwed together. This took quite awhile to fit everything but nowhere near as long as it  would have taken to carve it from solid. The sediment bowl was cut from the bottom of a 12mm test tube.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #425 on: August 15, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »
And finally some overall pictures of the engine to this point.
gbritnell

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #426 on: August 15, 2015, 03:37:45 AM »
George,
I don't know what to say but WOW.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #427 on: August 15, 2015, 06:14:11 AM »
George,
I don't know what to say but WOW.
Art

Make that a double WOW.

Exceptional work George

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #428 on: August 15, 2015, 06:28:13 AM »
Hi George, it is beautiful.
My first impression of the fuel / water separator position was, that it is very close to the exhaust pipe, but I am sure now that is optical only.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #429 on: August 15, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Beautiful  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mayhugh1

« Reply #430 on: August 15, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
George,
Your filing puts my 3D g-code to shame. I don't think more realistic looking parts could be made with CNC.  - Terrt

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #431 on: August 15, 2015, 03:24:48 PM »
George I do know that you have just as much hand works as you have machine work on this engine. Your the master craftsman my friend. Everything is just awesome............... :praise2:

Don

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #432 on: August 20, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »
I'm getting down to the last remaining parts on the engine.
Once I found the one-way bearing as a starting device I have put it on all my engines. The small engines I use a .375 diameter and the bigger engines I use a .500 diameter bearing. Rather than just mount a disc to the flywheel and to go along with all the other, "it looks like starter, or generator", I opted to make what looks like a clutch pressure plate. It's made in two pieces, the outer housing and the disc with the boss for the starter bearing. The outer housing pinches the disc against the flywheel by .002 but just to be sure it doesn't spin under load I used three 5-40 bolts that are positioned like the trunnion bolts on the full sized clutch.
The second set of pictures are of the dipstick flange, tube and stick. I'm always saving bits and pieces for possible use in my model work and I happened to have some stainless steel strips that go down the side of a windshield wiper blade. They are kind of like a spring steel but can be machined to the needed width. I cut a strip .104 wide, rolled the top and then machined a cap to go onto the top of the tube. The cap was drilled .106 diameter and then counter bored .156 diameter to go over the tube. The outside diameter has a small step at the top which I slotted with a slitting saw. This allowed the strip to slide through. I then positioned it and silver soldered it in place.
gbritnell

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #433 on: August 20, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »
George i just can express how much I would like to set an watch your work. I just can't get enough of how your engines turn out. I will have to take a vacation one day and go see you. That dip stick is superb buddy and so realistic.  :praise2:  Ow! And did I say I like...................................... :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #434 on: August 20, 2015, 12:52:22 AM »
George, am I assuming correctly that there will be a bell housing covering this clutch assembly. Beautiful work as always!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal