Author Topic: Flathead V-8  (Read 170763 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Flathead V-8
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:01 AM »
Great progress and beautiful work George!

I some times have the same posting troubles that you seem to be having; I usually just wait a while and try it again, eventually it will go through. I have just always blamed the network for this. This is one reason why I use an offline program (MS Word) to compose long posts; that way I can save it and if the site is being a pain I can try later with out the fear of loosing my work.

Dave

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Here's the latest update on the block progress.
The table was cleaned up and the block was flipped on the angle plate. It was clamped with my usual assortment of Jorgensen clamps and 1 C-clamp. With the narrow top of the block against the angle plate I put a piece of paper between the two for a little more friction as I had some heavy cuts to make.
I picked up the cam hole and set my 0's. The first operation was to bore the pocket for the oil pump idler gear. Next were the drilled holes for the bellhousing bolts.
I printed out the rear view of the engine and cut out the shape to use as a template. These were held in place by dowel pins that corresponded to the boss diameter and the drilled hole diameters. As this operation was to only remove extra stock the template worked fine. After this is finished the block will be set up on the rotary table to spin the radii.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline ColH

• Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2015, 12:16:05 AM »
Hi George

Any progress on the flathead V8?

Col
ColH

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:53 AM »
Hi Col,
Thanks for asking. Actually I have made a lot of progress but as you see from my last posting in early November it just kind of died.
gbritnell

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »
Hi Col,
Thanks for asking. Actually I have made a lot of progress but as you see from my last posting in early November it just kind of died.
gbritnell

So, George, is this because you didn't get much response from members of the forum?  I have noticed that some build threads have huge member responses while others don't seem to generate much interest.  Not sure of the reasons...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2015, 05:00:30 PM »
Still watching!! :praise2:
Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2015, 05:08:46 PM »
Same for me George...still watching and always impressed with your formidable talents for turning metal blocks into functioning mechanical marvels :)

Bill

Offline ///

• Perf, Straya
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2015, 05:17:27 PM »
The number of times the photo's in the last post have been viewed seems to be a fair indication of the interest level ;)
Simon

"The reality is that without cheap imported machines, I would be spending my time doing something less creative and less enjoyable" - Captain Jerry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
Hi Simon,

Would you like to post an introduction to yourself in the introduction section so that the members can get to know you better and the type of engines you are interested in. ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2015, 08:11:50 PM »
Hi Col,
gbritnell
Hi George, I am still quietly following along , too.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2015, 08:33:35 PM »
I am another follower as well.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
George,

Every time I check out the site I'm hoping that you have posted an update! Please don't discontinue the build, thinking that nobody is watching.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »
Gentlemen,
I certainly didn't mean to be a jerk about the whole thing but given the date of my last posting and the inquiry by Col I had figured that people had moved on to something else.
That said I will continue with the build.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2015, 10:49:48 PM »
The next step in the block machining was to undercut all the cylinder bores to create the water jacket area. When building my 300 inline six I just modified a Woodruff key cutter for the job but this block being so much larger I couldn't use the same type of tool so I had to create one. I made up the cutters shown, one for the top underside which required a radius and the other for the remaining part of the cavity. The block was set up on the fixture plate and bolted to the angle milling table. The angle was verified at 45 degrees and everything tightened down.  A positioning chart was drawn up and the tool was inserted into the bores, one by one, and the step cutting started. The previously drilled holes from the front face helped somewhat but the cutting was slow due to some chattering from the wide-faced cutters.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:15 PM »
Here are some pictures of the block to this point.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal