Author Topic: Flathead V-8  (Read 170765 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Flathead V-8
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
With the machining done from the bottom direction the block was removed from the fixture. I have 2 sets of dowel holes for machining, 2 in the top and bottom. The 2 dowels for machining the bottom surfaces were removed and the 2 for the top surfaces were installed. Everything was reindicated and the numbers set in the digital readout for the next step which was cutting some of the end profiles of the block. I only cut down far enough to establish the radii on the corners as the rest will get machined when the block is set on it's ends. The block was once again removed so I could indicate the angle of the table to set up for machining the valve cavities in the top of the block.
This was a much easier job than stepping out all the crankcase cavities. Another nice feature of this new mill is the moveable ram. Not having enough travel in -Y- with the table cocked over at 38.25 degrees I unclamped and moved the ram out so I was within the table travel. I did have to reindicate the head after moving the ram out knowing from my original setup checking that it was possible that the head could be as much as .006 out of tram after moving the ram. The ram is located by a large key and slot but even with .002 clearance at the key will give up to .006 at the spindle. I could make a tighter fitting key but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to slide the ram in and out.
Here's a few pictures of the latest machining.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »
That's awesome George. You and Ramon make carving metal look so easy and I love following along. Thanks for sharing it with us.  8)

:popcorn:
Don

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
The next step in the machining process was to put the valve pockets in the block. The angle I needed was 6.25 degrees past 45 degrees in other words my angle table would have to go to 51.25 degrees but it's only capable of 45 degrees so I had to set up an angle plate on the table and clamp the block to it. Here's a couple of pictures of the setup.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:12 AM »
I picked up the front face with my edge finder, wiggled the scribed centerline and set the numbers in the dro. The first step was to center drill each spot. I went deep enough with the center drill so the drill would have clean hole to start from. I also spotted the surface with an end mill. This is because the surface is tilted at the 6.25 degree angle. There is a shelf underneath the head deck where the valve spring will go so not trusting to drill all the way through to the cam hole I only went to this cavity.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:09 AM »
The next step was to go back into the hole with and extended center drill and drill the lower surface. This was followed by the original drill this time going into the cam bore. The next step was to ream each of the holes to .312 diameter. This was done with a helical fluted reamer to get a nice smooth finish.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 01:16:22 AM »
The next step was to open up the upper portion of the valve pocket to .323 diameter. This will allow the valve guide to be pressed into the pocket without having to press it all the way from the top of the head surface. The last 2 pictures show the counterbored pocket for the valve seat and the reamed holes opening into the cam bore.
gbritnell

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »
Hi Georg, that's amzing. Thanks for sharing all these pictures and the explanations.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
Very nice work as usual George  :NotWorthy: You can do manually what I am not able with my 3D CAD / CAM software and CNC machines. Very inspiring to follow along, like a lot the details in your engines. Something different then the square aluminum block engines you usually see….

Thanks for sharing, regards Jeroen

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »
Looking magnificent as ever  :praise2:  :praise2:

I am a little confused by the set up with the angle plate. Did that mean that you could use 45° - 6.25° which works rather than 45° + 6.25° which doesn't work?
Best regards

Roger

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2014, 02:30:04 AM »
Hi Roger,
First of all I made a mistake in stating that the angle I needed was 6.25 degrees when actually it was 7 but in the end it's still the same problem. To cut the ports I needed 52 degrees from the vertical and my angle plate would only rotate 45 so by mounting it to the angle plate I could go 45-7, or 38 degrees.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
Try as I might I can't post any message with photos. I have cleared the cache memory and restarted the browser but it's a no go. I don't have this problem on the other sites so I have no idea what to do.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »
I guess I'll try photobucket.
Since my last posting I have made quite a bit of progress on the block. All the cylinders have been bored. The manifold holes on the top of the block have been drilled. The block was set up vertically against an angle plate to start machining the ends. The first end is the front end or gear end. I indicated the cam hole as my starting point and from there drilled the holes for the front cover and water pump.
The next process was the nail biter. The front of the block has 2 large holes (.835 dia.) for the water pumps. These holes are drilled all the way through the block to the rear cylinder. This is to tie the eventual water jacket machining together. I started by center drilling, followed by a long .187 drill to make a pilot for the larger drills. The next drill was the .50 dia. drill. This drilled chattered terribly while going from hole to hole because it had to start on the round surface of the cylinders. With only long wood clamps holding the block to the angle plate I cringed when the drill chattered. The following 2 drills, .625 and .750 diameter actually went easier because of the larger pilot hole made by the .50 drill.
When each bank was successfully drilled the front hole was enlarged with a boring bar.
Next up was was the recess for the timing gears. This was a pretty straightforward mill and bore job.
The last machining was the 2 pockets on the lower edge of the block. They aren't needed for anything but are part of the Ford flathead engine so I'm duplicating them. I roughed them to depth with a .25 end mill. This was followed by a lot of stepping with a .125 ball mill. Finally the outer shape of the timing cover area at the top of the block was milled with a .375 ball mill. I was going to wait for another setup to do the angles but really wanted it done and over with while I had it set up in this position so I stepped the angles off.
This will get the build up to date.
gbritnell

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2014, 11:26:02 PM »
Beautiful work!!!

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »
George that is totally awesome and it's turned into an engine block. Could you put a ruler next to it for size reference? And George I do like................... :praise2: :praise2:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »
As a Flathead lover....  That is looking awesome!  The one more common flathead history/building book (lent them out, don't know the author) has a few pictures of fords that guys have changed the ports.  Reminds me of those.  That's going to be a great engine!  Can't wait to keep following this along!
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal